Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Hot Rod Cams Installed! Now a few problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 AM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Default Hot Rod Cams Installed! Now a few problems..

I got the hot rod cams and frpp intake manifold installed at the dealership. Now I have a few problems..

Heres the background story:
A week prior to the intall, I put in steeda UDP's. The car worked once I did, but at high rpms (highway) it would misfire, and eventually i could hear the clicking noise form the engine (from the belt or a loose pulley)

I then got the cams and manifold installed at the dealership (due to the install, I figured they would fix the pulleys). Now the noise which i assume is from the belt or pulleys is much louder, and the mechanic didnt know what it was.

Besides this, the car turns on, no engine lights, and no codes. But here the main problem:
The car feels much slower than it initially did, and when I shift gears or throw it in to neutral, the car revs for a second, then slowly revs down.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Maybe the tune? Its from bama.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

wetwille3,

It sounds like there could be a few different things going on with your Mustang. If the engine was misfiring before the camshafts were installed, then that issue still needs to be addressed. The camshafts might amplify the issue, too. Although, the issue sounds to be mechanical since it started when the UPD's were installed.

I don't think it's the actual UPD's causing the problem, but there's a good chance something was moved or hit out of place during the install. It's easy to rest your hand in the wrong place while reaching for something else. So, I would have the engine bay looked over thoroughly and make sure everything is plugged in and nothing looks out of place.

Then you can go from there. Also, the Bama Team has tuned a ton of these 05-10 GT FRPP Hot Rod camshafts. I least expect the issue being the tune, especially if you were having issues before the install.

Shane
Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If there's one thing many of us on these forums has learned, it's never EVER have mod work performed with an existing problem unless the mod is the known FIX for that problem. You now have introduced more variables into the equation.

Sorry, but my only recommendation is to reinstall the stock pulley (once you confirm that nothing was disturbed as stated by Shane) since the UDP install seemed to initiate your issues. I also don't believe it's the pulleys but you need to rule that out.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Before my head swap I'd occasionaly get a random cylinder misfire, thats gone after the head swap. (it was very rare and genraly only after a high rpm pull)

in my case I also had the FFRP cam drive kit installed and one of the cam chain tensioners was crapped out, the kit replaced both tensioners, so I suspect that was the cause of the issue. (also I had cam position erros sometimes with the misfire, again only after full throttle pulls)

I got the FFRP cam drive kit because the guy I had do the install (very happy with his quality of work) dyno joe, said via e-mail prior to the install that due to the miles on my car he recomended replacing the cam drive parts and after looking them up I found they were all included in the kit.

he also after inspecting the old heads recommended the rockers and lash adjusters be replaced as they weren't in good shape (seems the place I had used for my oil changes had been ripping me off and not using my supplied oil)

so I'd recomend a FFRP cam drive kit if you're doing anything with the cams or heads and you have a fair amount of miles on the existing cam drive parts.