Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Lean Running Error Codes, Both Banks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Lean Running Error Codes, Both Banks

Over the weekend I installed a C&L intake with a Diablo Predator 87 Octane Tune. The intake comes with a sleeve you can put inside, reducing diameter by, to me, not a lot. Yesterday I had the sleeve in, today the fellow that i bought if from said with the "tune" I did not need to have the sleeve in, so I removed.

1. I was doing this to kill an Emissions light because back in July the dealer said the light came on because of a FP code not being cleared because of the Granatelli "chip" CAI I had installed.
2. The light came on last week, again. Granatelli said could be the "chip"
3. I had found a fellow with the Intake and Tuner named above.
4. I installed with "sleeve" emissions light never came on, drove vigorously for some 30 miles up to near 120 for short streches, ran good, no ping, impressed.
5. Today removed "sleeve" town driving, maybe 10 miles with some idle time, went to Walmat, shopped, came out, greeted by Emissions light at start up.
6. stomped on it getting on highway less than a mile later, pinged, on first stomp, didn't seem to ping after that.
7. Diablo's tuner has a code reader function. Told me both banks are running lean.

Anybody had experience with this "running lean" codes? I have the upgraded FP. The light came on before the change over the weekend. Didn't come on Sunday with the sleeve installed, did come on today with the sleeve uninstalled. Today I was able to read codes telling me both banks were running lean. Fuel filter is only 9k miles old, and I run Shell gas really, really close to 100% of the time. Is it possible the filter is already loaded up enough to create this issue?

Any thoughts? What did you do to clear "lean running" codes if you had that problem?
TIA
Old 09-16-2014, 01:37 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You already found the issue. The intake has to match the tune.

There is no "chip" in these cars. But instead, a tune is downloaded into the PCM from a tuner device, like a diablo or sct. The tune needs to properly handle the air flow characteristics of the air intake setup for optimum operation, and to prevent the engine light from coming on due to running lean.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I've been in contact with Diablo. They said I do need the "sleeve" that goes into the CAI otherwise it will run lean. I had run with sleeve first day, 2nd day it was out, the seller had called in the interim and said with the "tune" I did not need the sleeve. Replaced sleeve this morning, have not driven yet. Problem probably cured I'm thinking.

Also, during my checking around found a video about cleaning the MAF Sensor. It and the cleaner I picked up this morning said it should be done every time you clean/change the air filter. So, I cleaned that sucker, first time in 69k miles. Didn't "look" dirty but who knows. How many of you clean your MAF Sensor on occasion?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

For whatever reason, the tune appears to have been written to support a tad less airflow which, in turn, is why you need the sleeve/baffle. The PCM's in these cars are very sensitive to air flow vs fuel management. Even some no-tune-required CAI's will throw a lean code for the same reason.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:48 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
I've been in contact with Diablo. They said I do need the "sleeve" that goes into the CAI otherwise it will run lean. I had run with sleeve first day, 2nd day it was out, the seller had called in the interim and said with the "tune" I did not need the sleeve. Replaced sleeve this morning, have not driven yet. Problem probably cured I'm thinking.

Also, during my checking around found a video about cleaning the MAF Sensor. It and the cleaner I picked up this morning said it should be done every time you clean/change the air filter. So, I cleaned that sucker, first time in 69k miles. Didn't "look" dirty but who knows. How many of you clean your MAF Sensor on occasion?
Nuke answered your tune question. As for cleaning the MAF, I would clean it when the oil was changed.