4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Im new to mustangs. 88 LX 2.3 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
zonker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShooterMcGavin
Well I live about 26 miles from my school, so it would be ideal to stick with a 4 cylinder to save money on gas, at least for now

Definitely!

Make the car lighter then build urself a nice all motor 4 cyl and go honda hunting.

without too much trouble or money, you can add a few boltons that will make it a little more powerful (120hp). not gonna win many races, but not gonna leave you frustrated either.

then for not much more, when you're ready, remove the head and port/cam it with a set of larger injectors and a tuning software and you'll have a honda beater (180hp).

and now, you have a lighter, more nimble, and plenty quick car that gets 25 mpg.

try to do that with a V8.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Well I live about 26 miles from my school, so it would be ideal to stick with a 4 cylinder to save money on gas, at least for now
Well that is a good point. Thats why i use my 4 banger as a driver over my V8.

However, the 4 cylinder N/A's only came with 88hp (until 92 when they came with 105hp due to a revised cylinder head), so no matter what you do, its going to be pretty difficult to do anything spectacular to that motor.

I have not seen anything nor any proof (via dyno results ect) of getting a 2.3 N/A over 120hp lol. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong

If you look up Sleeper_Inc, you will see what he did to his 4 banger before he went Turbo.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 PM
ShooterMcGavin

You all will have to be patient with me, I know very little about cars, I'm only 15 and I wont even have my license till early June. This forum is great though, you guys are very educational!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

You all will have to be patient with me, I know very little about cars, I'm only 15 and I wont even have my license till early June. This forum is great though, you guys are very educational!
Your welcome

Feel free to venture into the other forums if you plan on learning other asspects of automotive. Also dont be affraid to PM me any questions you may have
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 AM
zonker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dreamer1uk
Well that is a good point. Thats why i use my 4 banger as a driver over my V8.

However, the 4 cylinder N/A's only came with 88hp (until 92 when they came with 105hp due to a revised cylinder head), so no matter what you do, its going to be pretty difficult to do anything spectacular to that motor.

I have not seen anything nor any proof (via dyno results ect) of getting a 2.3 N/A over 120hp lol. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong

If you look up Sleeper_Inc, you will see what he did to his 4 banger before he went Turbo.
My car, a 1991, is a 105hp unit (the 91-93's are 8 plug motors). Adding a 2.25" exhaust with ranger header, retarding the cam gear, underdriving the accessories, replacing the resonator/silencer with a intake tube, and swapping out the air filter has given me a considerably quicker car.

I'm sure my estimate of a 15hp gain is understated.

I have only used a dyno app on my smartphone to record 1/4 mile times down the same stretch of road and I've shaved close to 2 seconds off my original 1/4 mile time.

But if you want to pay for the dyno time so you can see a sheet indicating such, I'll go put it on rollers to back up my claims
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
94gtstang50

Turbo is really the way to go with the 2.3. I have seen na 2.3 race motors put out some respectable numbers for use in some of the smaller circuits, but for the street you can def find a one of the 80"s tubro fords listed above for cheap and have everything you need for the swap. Heck I'm selling 2 T/C's right now for $700, one na one orig.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
ShooterMcGavin

So is it not possible to put a bolt on turbo onto the stock 2.3?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Possible, yes. Smart, safe, and worth it, no. An N/A has too high of compression, weaker internals, and has the wrong EFI tune to make it work well. It will run and you may see some better performance, till it grenades.

If you want to turbo, your best bet is finding a doner car (SVO, Murker Xr4Ti, Thunderbird T/C) and take the engine, ecu, fuel system, and some pigtails/sensors to make it all work right. For the money you would spend buying a turbo, and trying to make it work on an N/A engine, you could have less money into buying a doner car and have everything you need to do the job right.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
lolz1970

oh so the 2.3 n/a doesnt have forged internals like the 2.3t im guessing has. ive become a pretty big subaru fanatic and have 2 of them now, sold the first one. I must say the boxer 4 cylinder is a wierd motor. Anyways the main reason i sold my mustang was because of how rough it was and the A4LD. had it been a 5 speed mustang i would probably still have it. My first car (94 saturn sl2) actually came from the factory with a forged steel crank, forged rods, but just average cast pistons. And all Subarus have a forged steel crank, turbo or not. I like the simplicity of the inline 4 as compared to the boxer 4, when it comes to taking it apart. The subaru im fixing is a 97 outback, and im considering selling it once i finish it, and trying to get my hands on a 5 speed turbo car of some sort. On craigslist i found a Mustang SVO, and a Merkur XR4T, both 5 speed. both nice cars. Also found eclipses and eagle talons but those cars are junk. I may get back in the mustang club who knows
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
lolz1970

XR4Ti ^^

Quick Reply: Im new to mustangs. 88 LX 2.3 questions.