5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trick Flow -vs- GT40 package

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:36 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trick Flow -vs- GT40 package

thanks for the advise guys ....

quick question though....how do you all feel about the TF cams vs the FMS cams? i don't know anyone with a TF cam in their car and i've only had experience with the B303 in one of my old coupes.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:40 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

FMS is older tech. The TFS cams have a split int/exh lift and duration allowing more time for exhaust gases to be purged from the engine.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Logz5.0
1st Gear Member

I have the trick flow setup, minus the cam. I have a B303 cam. I Liked the sound of it better... No complaints about the power either.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:54 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

lol...after you use it youll prolly call it junk...i cant wait to get an edelbrock intake and a comp cam. i just cant see any great gains witht the setup ive got. i know i have too big a set of heads but the gt-40 seems rather limited. i think a trickflow is a good upgrade oveer the gt-40. and E cam over B cam too really. that would have made this a closer call.ill have a gt-40 for sell though soon as my victor comes in. and an E cam too.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

ORIGINAL: FoxRod
But seriously, I think I would change one thing though and go with this intake instead of the Track heat.

Trick Flow "High Flow Intake"
I wouldn't use that intake unless you're going to use boost. It puts your power up higher in your rpm range and is better for blown/turbo applications.

It all comes down to what you have planned for your car. For a street car, the street heat intake will be okay, the track heat could be too, but it has shorter runners losing some low end tq, but giving you more hp up top at higher rpms. The box intake puts your power even higher in the rpm range than the track heat. I don't think you'd be able to rev high enough to use it w/ the top end kit.

I know. But I am boosted from a Turbo. . Plus I was just answering the original question which is what would you change? And since I am boosted that is what I would change.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:04 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

speaking of edelbrock ...

what's your all's opinions on edelbrock heads and intakes -vs- the trickflow stuff?

Old 03-07-2006, 04:17 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

i think the edelbrock vs trickflow is a much better question. I dont know much about the edelbrock but I've heard it makes great power...
Old 03-07-2006, 04:21 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

i have vic jr heads on my motor now but only gt40 intake and e cam.. but when i get my victor efi intake and comp cam in ill let you know how it runs. but right now im just not getting enuf flow to the heads. in trickflow i would prolly want the box R intake and tf st. 2 cam. but i just like edelbrock myself.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:55 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

This is just my personal opinion, far from written in stone..... To me, most of the Edelbrock stuff is similar to FRPP in that it's older tech. Edelbrock makes better power than Ford, but they came over from carbed applications, which are different in many ways.

Trick Flow, BBK, etc. are more new school and strictly EFI. Granted, BBK's new intake was somewhat dissappointing--not that it doesn't perform or look badass--but it wasn't all that it was hyped up to be and outperform everything else. So, any company has pros and cons, but I've always been partial to companies w/ newer innovation. Parts that came out 10-15 years ago were the latest and greatest at the time, but companies like TFS seem do keep doing research to better their products and don't accept that what's already around is the best.

Everyone has their opinion, so go w/ what you think is the best for you, not just what someone tells you to get.