5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pricing , price, labor charge for work and parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 PM
MetalAges

Default Pricing , price, labor charge for work and parts

I used the search function to try and look to see what some of you are getting charged for work but only had the gear thread here and there. I am about t start noodling with my stang and would love to know what I can expect for the following kind of work (whether it is what you paid, or a high/low estimate if you have a lot of experience on the topic). This is if the shop provides parts and labor. I have a local shop who almost strictly works on Stangs so that will be nice to know they know their stuff. It seems they replace everything involved in the process (gaskets, seals, etc etc) , and use reputable parts.

Gear replacement (3.73) : $
Frame Connectors : $
Springs : $
Underdrive Pulleys : $
Upper/Lower Control Arms : $
Magnaflow X-pipe with high flow Cat : $

I have engine stuff too but that is out of my immediate affordability right now. I'll do the minor work myself.

Maybe this thread can be used for others looking for the same info. I tried to name the title something people would search for.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pricing , price, labor charge for work and parts

Quick question. I understand not installing the subframes and the gears yourself but why not everything else. Everything else only requires basic hand tools and are not complicated at all.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:39 PM
MetalAges

Well, not saying I that I won't - here's my quick story:

I am JUST now getting back into the "car" thing so I don't know what my limits are when it comes to the home tinkering guy. I rebuilt my old 73 Nova 350 back in the day so I am relearning a lot of things (using the mustang books I bought). I only have the basics here at my place (ramps, jack, etc.) and no access to lifts or anything like that. So...I am still learning what I can realistically do on my own given my setup here. I only have you gurus here on the forums to ask stuff, noone around me goofs around like this any more (people I know anyways).

I am updating my tool set, etc. as well so I can do more. If you think it is something I can realisticallyt do here with what I have, by all means let me know. I see some of you guys talking about it sometimes but I don't know what setup you have access to so that I can relate my own situation.

Thanks!

EDIT: I should add that when I rebuilt my Nova - I mainly only dealt with engine work and never did the exhaust stuff , transmission, etc. myself so I have no idea what it involves (tools).
Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
5.0_faithful
2nd Gear Member

If you are having the shop buy your parts and do the labor for the install look at $2000 for the work.... You should shop around, junkyard ,ebay ....and try to get parts on the cheap .....Labor will kill you though as they will most likely charge you labor time per item unless you get a good place that wont rape you on the labor ! ! !