5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

couple problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:52 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Default couple problems

my car runs hot... to the point where i cant put my hand on the intake or it burns

the temp gauge always reads like 4-5 bars above cold.. dosnt get any higher - ever.

even today it didnt get any higher and i know for a fact the car was warm because i really pushed it on the highway (120-ish reving till 5900 in 3rd.. hauling a$$) and its probably like 75 outside.

i pulled off and stopped a gas station and filled up and let her cool down and when i opened the hood it was so hot. just standing above it i could feel the heat hitting my face - it was hot. whats up with my gauge and why wont it read any higher if the car is warmer?

the other problem is i noticed a tubing on the passenger side right next to the header is loose and it makes a really awful rattling sound. if i grabbed the tube and forced it forward, it stopped but still kind of made a bad sound inside of it. i thought it was my engine and i was so scared but i grabbed that tubing and it stopped basicaly. can anyone tell me what part it is and is it supposed to make like a rattling sound?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: couple problems

ORIGINAL: lookinforastang

my car runs hot... to the point where i cant put my hand on the intake or it burns

the temp gauge always reads like 4-5 bars above cold.. dosnt get any higher - ever.

even today it didnt get any higher and i know for a fact the car was warm because i really pushed it on the highway (120-ish reving till 5900 in 3rd.. hauling a$$) and its probably like 75 outside.

i pulled off and stopped a gas station and filled up and let her cool down and when i opened the hood it was so hot. just standing above it i could feel the heat hitting my face - it was hot. whats up with my gauge and why wont it read any higher if the car is warmer?

the other problem is i noticed a tubing on the passenger side right next to the header is loose and it makes a really awful rattling sound. if i grabbed the tube and forced it forward, it stopped but still kind of made a bad sound inside of it. i thought it was my engine and i was so scared but i grabbed that tubing and it stopped basicaly. can anyone tell me what part it is and is it supposed to make like a rattling sound?
Engines run hot. You're not supposed to be able to put your hand on the intake and not get burned. Is that all your judging your post on? As far as the tube, is it back by the end of the header and goes under the car? If so, it's the aspirator tuge that runs to the converter or h-pipe if equiped.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:07 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

i have never opened my hood and felt heat like that before and i peek under the hood probably twice a day or more (im obsessed )

why wasnt my gauge reading higher? i know its not broke because it works. i live in MA so it was always chilly and cool when i first had the stang but now that its warmer its not even increasing.. not even 1 bar.. somethings not right.

as for the tube. not sure. i was able to move it around and there was an awful sound coming from it. is this normal?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:11 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

If you have access to an infrared thermometer, that would be the best way to tell the actual temp. AS far as the tube, if it's loose and noisy then no, it's not intended to be like that.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:21 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

it does go to the header but its like 2 tubes running parallel ontop of eachother. the top tube wraps around the engine to the driver side near the firewall and the bottom tube goes down to the h-pipe or cats (not sure, i have both though).

the tubing also comes from the bottom of the accessory drive (bottom belt)

i dont even know how to fix it. theres nothing to tighten. i just used my hand and held it in place when it stopped making the sound.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

lets see you stomped all over you engine has hard as you could
and you cant understand why it was hot?
hmmm..... cause you just stomped on it?

go out and cruise on the freeway ( at 70 not 120 ) for
about an hour, then see if it still too hot.

I'd start there

Old 04-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

lets see you stomped all over you engine has hard as you could
and you cant understand why it was hot?
hmmm..... cause you just stomped on it?

go out and cruise on the freeway ( at 70 not 120 ) for
about an hour, then see if it still too hot.

I'd start there
he used that as an example to show that his temp gauge isnt reading correctly
Old 04-15-2006, 06:30 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

re-read my post dude. obviously the car gets hot but the gauge has like a dead spot or something. i get a little worried when my gauge wont read past like 200, i think you would too...

i know my post sounded noob but honestly i think i got the point when i saw people putting ice bags on their intakes at the track..

my car never see's the highway. its a city car but today was nice and there was alot of traffic in the city so i took the highway and got her up to a little past 120. 125 or 130 not sure wasnt looking. when i let off the gas i looked down and it was at 120 and that was good enough for me [8D]
Old 04-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

re-read my post dude. obviously the car gets hot but the gauge has like a dead spot or something. i get a little worried when my gauge wont read past like 200, i think you would too...

i know my post sounded noob but honestly i think i got the point when i saw people putting ice bags on their intakes at the track..
at least urs doesnt go right under the red bar
..it will be 60* outside and ill drive for ten min
and my temp gauge will go to the top
Old 04-15-2006, 06:39 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

oh man i forgot about this..

i was chillin at wendys and had just the cd player on (turned the key backwards)

the temp gauge went to the top and the volt gauge went to the bottom

oil and gas gauges didnt move

i freaked out and turned the car on and gauges went back to normal

Quick Reply: couple problems