5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI to Carb conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 AM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: EFI to Carb conversion?

88 vert, was that the procomp dizzy with the cheby style cap? Did it come with the module and coil hooked up? If so, how do you like it?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:59 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meiguoren33
88 vert, was that the procomp dizzy with the cheby style cap? Did it come with the module and coil hooked up? If so, how do you like it?
I do believe it is. I remember something like bulldog in the description, but im pretty sure it's procomp. It came with everything in the picture below (the coil was red on mine though) for $90 shipped i think. I put the steel gear (included) on by hand, and can take it off pretty easy, but the guy said it's designed that way??? it does work nice though with my msd6al box, and looks great for the price. Only thing i didn't like about it is that its HEI design, and is pretty big. There's some duraspark style ones for same price, but it looked like it had a big foot or something at the base that would cause some clearance problems, so i went with this one.

Deffinately worth it, but i've only had it a month or so, so i can't tell you how durable it is, but for the price you can't beat it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32278/22A4DD0E16AC41A8AF488D897E3B3BC0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32278/4E2C7A66FEB444DCBAD69F4E1744A75C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2006, 03:08 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Ganassi Racing to do it his name is Ben Coward
Hey Crump, where's this guys shop at? and how much would he charge the avg joe for a dyno/tune? Been lookin for a local guy (not too hard till i get everything fixed), but would be some nice info to have.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so i have a 5.0 HO motor i'm going to be doing a carb swap... I was thinking of going with this distributor:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

And changing out the gear to steel... is that dizzy compatible with my setup with a Blaster 2 or 3 coil and MSD 6AL ?

Thanks... OJM/Paramedic
Old 04-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

The shop is here in rock hill on main street. D&D Performance Machine is the name of the shop. Ben is someone we ran across at P1 Performance in charlotte. At D&D there is a depac 2000HP engine dyno. I went to school with the owner. not sure what his hourly price is though.... I do know that for the whole day he charges about 500.00 and that includes putting the motor on the dyno and running/tunning what you have. He is however looking into getting chasis dyno. Ben is going to charge me 300.00 to do mine and I dont have to pay for the use of the dyno.
ORIGINAL: 88blackCONvert

Ganassi Racing to do it his name is Ben Coward
Hey Crump, where's this guys shop at? and how much would he charge the avg joe for a dyno/tune? Been lookin for a local guy (not too hard till i get everything fixed), but would be some nice info to have.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:37 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

That fuel pump relay is no sweat.
I've used several 'PAINLESS WIRING' ones with Holley pumps. They cost about $27 but the wires are all labeled as to where to go with each one........
I'd solder/shrink tube everything......
Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

where do I pick up a painless wiring relay
ORIGINAL: tinman

That fuel pump relay is no sweat.
I've used several 'PAINLESS WIRING' ones with Holley pumps. They cost about $27 but the wires are all labeled as to where to go with each one........
I'd solder/shrink tube everything......
Old 04-25-2006, 10:54 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Thanx for the info on D&D crump. I'ma have to check em out. As for the relay there's only one wire to hook up to use your old relay that you already have. It was kinda hard for me to find since my chiltons manual had 2 of the same pages, and was missing the page that i needed. It wasn't hard though, just ran some power to the pink/black wire into the relay, and just extended the wires from my original fuel pump to my new one (like Fletch said).
Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OJMiles
Ok, so i have a 5.0 HO motor i'm going to be doing a carb swap... I was thinking of going with this distributor:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

And changing out the gear to steel... is that dizzy compatible with my setup with a Blaster 2 or 3 coil and MSD 6AL ?

Thanks... OJM/Paramedic
OJ, you shouldn't have a problem hooking that up to your 6AL, and it will be a good dizzy (msd makes some nice shiz), but i didn't want to pay that price, so i hit up my ol' pal EBAy, and found a few cheap ones. Im super happy with the one i got for almost 1/3 of the price of an MSD.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

I'll be more than happy to purchase a non MSD if i can find one for a carb engine, non-HEI, with vacuum advance, steel gear, but so far i havent found a good alternative, and i wanted something a little nicer than stock. Any suggestions?

-- OJM

Quick Reply: EFI to Carb conversion?