5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!

I am going to work on my 3G alternator upgrade tonight. Or at least get some of the supplies. I am going to put in a wafer/ANL style fuse and holder on the 4 gauge power wire. Is a 150 Amp fuse enough? I noticed some say to use a 125; well no one has a 125 locally. So I can get a 150, or a 200. I see some say to use a 200. What does everyone recommend?

Also, if I already have 4 gauge ground from battery to frame, and 4 gauge ground to engine block I don’t need to change anything do I? I only need 4 gauge wires for the power, correct? I do nothing with a ground anywhere on the car or alt? Please let me know ASAP as I plan to get these parts in a few hours. Thanks, Landon.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:48 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

I guess to keep it simple for my rookie a**. If I use 4 gauge from the alternator stud, directly to the battery do I need to do anything to the factory ground wires in the car? Or just leave them? What size are the factory engine grounds?

Secondly, Can someone in simple terms tell me exactly what I need to do to wire this alt up? Here is what I think is correct.

Take 4 gauge directly from the battery to the stud on the alt, going to put in a 150A inline fuse.

The one factory alt plug, keep all wires intact and plug into the alternator.

Cut the connector off the other plug. Now, I believe the two black and orange need ring terminals, connect these two to the stud on the 3G alt as well. Correct? The remaining wire from this connector I connect to the little connector on the 3G alt? Stator?(SPELLING?)

Now I have read do not connect the black/white wires. I dont know where those are at or what they are talking about. I think I am on the right track.

So, do I do anything to the ground? What wires do I not use out of the factory alt connectors? Do I remove any wiring? Please a little more help on this. Thanks, Landon.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:59 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Do I do anything with my factory grounds? If yes, WHAT?

Secondly, I think I have this basically done, I am just waiting on my ANL style fuse holder to get here.

I do have one remaining questions. Does the single white wire I cut off the non used connector, does it actually just loop from the stator plug into the regulator plug? I pulled back some tape and it seems it actually comes out of the regulator plug. Is this correct? I want to make sure before I fire my car up. No one every mentioned it looped out of the regulator plug and then connect it to the 3G alt stator lone plug? Thanks and let me know asap.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:24 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

I have a question about the fuse for the new 4 gauge power wire on a 3G Alt upgrade. I was planning to put this near the battery or solenoid, whichever I use for the power supply.

I read that some people are putting the fuse under the factory air box, which would make the fuse location closer to the alternator.

I always thought you wanted it closest to the power supply. Can someone confirm the best location for the fuse on the 4 gauge power wire from the 3G alt stud to the battery or solenoid?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

I purchased a pipe and used it as a breaker bar, it made it 100 times easier to get the belt on.

All i need to know now is where to put the inline fuse on the 4 gauge power wire. Should I put it closer to the alternator, or closer to the power wire where it connects to the power side of the solenoid? I have read to put it both places. Which one would be better? Closer to the solenoid, or the alternator? Thanks.