5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Convertible glass adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 PM
1989pony

Default Convertible glass adjustment

Hi,
I had a previous post about convertible window leaks (https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=1280303), but the last question I posted didn't get any responses. So, I will try a new thread with a new subject and see if anybody has any ideas...

I have a 1989 5.0 LX Sport Convertible. The rear driver side window is out of adjustment. It doesn't come forward enough to seal with the front driver side window. I took off the rear interior panels and I can't figure out which bolts would allow me to adjust the window from rear to front. I need the rear window to come forward about 1/2 inch. I can adjust the window tightness from interior to exterior, but not from rear to front. Does anybody have any more specific instructions or pictures that they could post?

Or, since I have it all apart, should I just take it to a body shop and see if they can adjust it?

Thanks for any pointers!

Kevin

Old 05-13-2006, 08:55 PM
droptopfoxgt

Default RE: Convertible glass adjustment

hey man. i have a gt vert with the same problem. that window (power) doesnt roll up every time for me either. i read an article in MM&FF about a guy with the same problem and noone answered it.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:16 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the mustang parts houses have a book that detail glass adjustment on ttop and verts it not that expensive!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Mikes Stang
1st Gear Member

Kevin,

I don't have any pics, but I do have a Convertible Diagnosis and Service Procedures manual. It says:

Quarter window gap along entire edge of door glass

1. Lower the quarter window and loosen the carrier inboard/outboard adjustment bolts. (From what I can tell, these are the top two bolts at the base of the window. Right above where the linkage hooks up at the bottom of the window itself.) Raise the quarter window and push the division bar seal snug against the door glass.

Lower the window and tighten the carrier bolts. Riase the quarter window and check that the gap has been eliminated. Repeat this procedure, if necessary.

Hope this helps. If the gap isn't along the entire window, they do have some other procedures for those gaps.

Mike
Old 05-20-2006, 12:39 AM
1989pony

Mike,
Thank you for the clear instructions. I will have to try these out this weekend, and will let you know the results. Also, thank you for the specific title for the manual. I did a quick search on the web and haven't found one for sale yet. If you know where to get one (or you'd be willing to let me make a copy of yours), let me know. Thanks again!

Kevin
Old 05-21-2006, 10:53 PM
1989pony

Mike,
Didn't get it completely resolved, but it's better than what it was. Those top two bolts are for adjusting the window from interior-to-exterior. There is another nut just below these that looks to be for allowing the window to move from back-to-front. But, I couldn't get sufficient access to this note to loosen it. There was a metal bracket that attaches to the linkage that was flush against the nut on one side. So, even if I could get to the nut, it wouldn't have budged since it was lodged in there. It looks to be a major undertaking to do that adjustment to the window.

Anyway, it is better than what it was. And, if I ever want to take apart the whole window assembly, I know how to adjust the window now...

I also found that Services manual at Mustangs Unlimited.

Thanks again for the pointers!

Kevin
Old 05-21-2006, 11:02 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

the mustang parts houses have a book that detail glass adjustment on ttop and verts it not that expensive!
Have a link to where that can be purchased?