5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam plug oil leak - EAK!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cam plug oil leak - EAK!

ORIGINAL: xcr5

Hmm - looks like i'm at the dealers mercy (not much advise on here). Well looks like it's time to grab the ankles - Ouch!
well w/ comments like this..no wonder ur not getting much help

people arent here just for YOU
and when someone does help like mcfomco
he is spending his time to help u or at least try

maybe take that into consideration

and btw..good luck w/ ur problem..shouldve got a fox
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: xcr5

Hmm - looks like i'm at the dealers mercy (not much advise on here). Well looks like it's time to grab the ankles - Ouch!
1. if the hole has a freeze plug it in and it leaks....try a new freeze plug. If that doesn't fix it something is F'd.
2. Don't buy ebay engines
3. Be patient with the answers saying junk like "not much advice on here" will get you nowhere. There is alot of advice on here, there are guys on here that know alot of good tech.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
xcr5

Hey sorry if I ruffled some feathers - just figured with with two full days of a question posted I would have gotten more then two meaningful replies (just happened to be from the same individual - thanks MCFOMCO). Car goes back into the dealer early next week - I was just pressing to hopefully have some suggestions for a fix - already replaced the cam plug once and it still leaked that's why I'm looking for ideas on how to fix it.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:22 AM
xcr5

ttt
Old 06-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

np man..i jus think u stumped us all

well u stumped me at least
Old 06-04-2006, 02:30 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

does it leak a lot of oil? how big of a spot is it leaving on the ground?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
xcr5

Fiveliter - I would say appox. 5" circle overnight. It's actually leaking more now after the repair then before.

I checked the PCV valve and that seems ok? I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out some way of sealing the cam plug???

XCR5
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 AM
xcr5

Anyone??? One other thing - since the attempted repair the wife noticed the car doesn't shift as nicely into first or reverse. I tried it myself and it is more difficult to get the car into these gears (before the repairs it dropped right in like butter). How would just dropping the tranny and then bolting it back up effect the smoothness of shiffting? Oh yea, they didn't hang the exhaust correctly either as it now rattles somewhere against the frame of the car near the rear - arrg!!!

Car goes in Thursday for another attempt at fixing the leak - was really hoping to have some suggestions for them to try - thoughts???

XCR5
Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont let them bull**** you about not being able to use any sealer on that plug. i was told that you cant use sealer on the crank seal on my probe... but its bull****... the thing leaked like there was no tomorrow... put a new seal in there and used some red RTV silicone.... no more leaking
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
xcr5

Adder, how long did the RTV hold up? A buddy of mine that knows motors said GM makes one heck of a sealant for use on motors. Said it's like $20 a tube - I suppose the Ford dealer wouldn't like it if I asked them to put some GM sealent on the plug hey!

L8TR

Quick Reply: Cam plug oil leak - EAK!