5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Underdrive Pulley Mayhem HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 01:34 AM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive Pulley Mayhem HELP!

Oh well doesnt matter anymore. Dad came home from his work trip and got all pissed off because A) bought them when i technically have no money B) it wasnt done so of course he thinks i did it wrong

So they are now taken off and stock ones are back on, and as far as i know are going back to Jeg's tomorrow.

He tried to say underdrives are only good for bypassing the AC pulley.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ouch
explain to him you'll get better gas mileage(think this is because less work for the crank or something)
the smaller crank pulley and the larger water pump slows down accessories freeing up a little hp as well
so its all in all a great mod for the money
Old 04-24-2004, 02:34 AM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Forgot point C..went to every store in the general Ohio area looking for a size 89 belt, the only size that has a chance of working, and every place was out or didnt show up in their system...

For some reason i dont know how anyone has put one on a 94 gt. BTW, alternator doesnt swivel or whatever.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:23 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

What roundman was saying is that if you take out the top bolt you can move it a little bit so that maybe you can slip the belt on. Then either pry it back into the right spot or drill new holes for the bolts. Only problem is if it's that tight of a fit then the belt tensioner will make it far too tight. I'd look into getting what obsol3te's got, you'll have for flexibility with that.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:33 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

that's right vert, I had to take out the top alternator bolt and shove it in as far as I could and then do a little prying to get the stock belt over the pulley, but once I did, the alternator went back so the hole for the bolt lined up fine and the tensioner didn't make it too tight either, but mine is an 88 and I don't know about the 94's although I don't think there is an real difference. the other thing you can do is remove the tensioner and drill a new hole for the dowel pin in the back side of the bracket it bolts to about 1/2" away from the original hole so you can reinstall the tensioner in a looser postion. come to think of it now, that's what I had to do to make the stock belt fit on mine, I'd forgotten all about that, damn! yeah, with the belt off, loosen the main bolt holding the tensioner on until the dowel pin comes out of its existing hole, then rotate the tensioner so the dowel makes a mark on the bracket you can see like an arc. then remove the tensioner all the way, take a punch and make a dimple in the arc about 1/2" away from the existing hole and then drill this new hole, think it is about 1/4" if I remember right. you can then install the tensioner in this new hole and it will tension the stock belt without being too tight. you have to put the belt on the alternator without the tension on and then start the tensioner bolt without the dowel being in the hole and then force the tensioner down until the dowel goes into the hole and then tighten the tensioner bolt up the rest of the way. it's a little bit of a fight doing this, but it can be done. damn sorry I forgot about this earlier, must have been another old age brain fart!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:25 PM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Well me and my brother gave it another shot and turns out the 887 belt works now. Before we tried to slip it over the alternator pulley and it has those huge walls on it, then we tried the water pump and it worked!

I could feel a little difference, but not much. Mostly i feel it in throttle response for some odd reason, car just takes off generally better.

Thanks for any and all help. I guess we are keeping them now.

BTW, will these give better MPG?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:30 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

yes because you have reduced the drag of the accesories on the engine, but it won't be anything hugh, maybe .75-1.0 mpg if you drive sensiblily. glad to hear you finally got them on and running. only negative is that the AC and alternator won't run as well idling around, but at normal speeds they will be fine. hope you showed your dad that they don't bypass the AC too, although I would be real careful around him right now as it sounded like you managed to **** him off pretty good.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:39 PM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Haha ya i sure did. Especially when we gave it a second try.

But then after the fact i think he now likes them.

Lights look normal at idle until you hit the gas and they brighten up a tad bit. Only thing i have seen weird yet. Still worried about overheating but hopefully wont be a problem.