5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Better to mod or buy a modded car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 AM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Better to mod or buy a modded car?

I would say it depends on whether or not you want to build the car yourself. If you plan to work on it yourself and make it a project, I would say it's better to buy a car and then mod it. But if all you're looking for is a fast car, then why not buy it modded. Just my two cents.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 350kmileFord

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I just had an epiphony. If I can't afford to make my car faster, what are some good modifications to make it slower?
pop the tired
remove the tires
take a dump in the gas tank
remove the windshield
fill it with rocks
take out multiple spark plugs
take an automatic weapon and/or sledgehammer to the block
put an apple in the intake
retard the timing
swap for a 4 cylinder
drive with the oil drain plug off
drive with the brake pedal depressed (spell?)
drive with the ac on
fill the car with playdough
put a brick under your gas pedal
crank the engine until the starter fries, buy a new starter and install, repeat multiple times, then drive

Anyway...when I finally buy a 5.0, I will not buy an already modified car. I won't buy one if it has so much as an aftermarket intake. If it has any mods it means that the people have gone fast in it, and that they've wanted to go faster, and then tryed to go faster. Means they abused it. I'd rather abuse the car myself, then have someone else do it >_<
LOL. Good stuff, 350! Although, about the taking a dump in the tank...Where else would I take a dump?[8D]. At any rate, your right about even one mod being present on a car. It means that they've "tried to go faster." I don't like that very much.

Buying a modded car isn't bad if you can work on them. I bought mine two years ago for $4000, already with 331 stroker set up, and drove the **** out of it. I saved up a bunch of money, and built a real nice engine for it, and did all the upgrades I wanted when that set up stopped working for me. I spent about $8K for the mods that I have done, and there are still things I will be doing later. I was able to salvage an easy $5000 in great parts that were put in by the last guy between the heads, intake, trans, gears, radiator, etc. I have had nearly every part out of my car since I bought it, and now the car is mine.
Thanks for the info, Tapout. Glad you got a good one. I wonder how many people buy cars with engines built by monkeys, that grenade w/in a few miles. I'm even scared of stock rebuilds.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:34 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

it may be cheaper to get one that is already modded, and yes you can just put in a motor.
if I was to do my car again, I would do the suspension first, then strengthen the frame and torque boxes and then add more power.
I did my cars chassis and suspension first and I am just starting to gather parts to make it faster. I kind of regret doing it this way though because all the money I've put into the car I don't really feel much difference.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:43 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

dont get into modding a car unless you plan to be in for the long haul because its never done after you start. alot of people realize this after awhile and sell out. then if youre lucky you can find a good deal on a fast ride that needs little work. i say if you found a good deal, go for it!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:02 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

dont get into modding a car unless you plan to be in for the long haul because its never done after you start. alot of people realize this after awhile and sell out. then if youre lucky you can find a good deal on a fast ride that needs little work. i say if you found a good deal, go for it!
^+1