5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking for advice on Mustang purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 PM
PrelateBishop

Default RE: Looking for advice on Mustang purchase.

Damn, you guys really impress when it comes to quick and informative replies.

From the info presented in this post, I would have to say a '90-'92 is sounding the most attractive. I personally think a notch looks waaay cooler than a hatch, buy one could certainly argue that a hatch is more "functional." Manual tranny is the ONLY way to go. The rest more or less seems the same common sense applied to any used car purchase.

However, I do have several follow-up questions:

[ul][*] Are most supercharger applications a bolt-on scenario or is there typically a list of other changes that must take place at the same time?[*] Does living in Colorado (i.e. high altitude) present any challenges that I should be concerned about?[*] What is typically included in an engine rebuild and what are the associated costs?[*] Assuming a basic working knowledge of and access to tools, how easy/difficult are these cars to work on?[*] Upgrading the gears were mentioned several times...what was the stock ratio offered? What ratio does one typically upgrade to?
[/ul]

As an aside, the main reason I want one of these cars is that (a) I think they look simple/plain and (b) they're cool. I would want to do extremely minimal visual mods as I think they look great stock and definitely to keep the "sleeper" appearance. A lowered stance is very desirable and window tint, but that's pretty much it. For the motor my thought would be a S/C and exhaust and obviously an intake. Some day down the road an auto-x would be fun or an open track day, especially since you can use throttle inputs to assist with steering. Suspension and braking tidbits would help round out the package, me thinks.

Oh, and why can't something like this car be for sale in Colorado?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 PM
PrelateBishop

* bump *
Old 06-23-2006, 02:20 AM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

this is just my .02, but its going to take a lot of suspension work to get a pony to be a good auto x-er. As far as supercharging goes, whenever you do something like that, you always have to consider your fuel and engine management. The gear ratio depends on what tranny your'e talking about, but my 92 notch with the T5 has 3.73's which I am in love with. the car is the most fun to drive stick car I have ever owned. It pulls very hard through 1 2 and 3, and maintains the power in 4 and the upper end of 5 required for aggressive highway driving.

alex
Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

Does living in Colorado (i.e. high altitude) present any challenges that I should be concerned about?
Do you need to pass emissions in your area? It was a bitch converting mine to a street legal when I lived in highlands ranch.