5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tri-Ax shifter vibration (adv tech help needed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
VinDiesel

Default Tri-Ax shifter vibration (adv tech help needed)

Hi, I have a 94 mustang gt with a T-5 transmission and Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. Whenever going over ~80 mph a loud metal clicking sound comes from underneath my shifter (sounds like putting a baseball card in a bicycle wheel spoke but louder). My friend with the same shifter told me the Tri-Ax has "stop points" unlike a stock shifter which protect the forks in the transmission from bending, but that they can vibrate if not set correctly.

Here is what happened: My transmission died (blue gears) because the rear seal with the yoke broke and leaked all the transmission fluid. The shop replaced with a new rebuilt transmission and within one week and 600 miles the rear seal with the yoke again broke and leaked all the fluid.

My question is this: Does the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter have a common problem of producing vibration and causing the rear seal to rupture and leak transmission fluid? I had the Tri-Ax installed for 3 years with the vibration occurring before this seal broke and it happened again within one week after getting the new transmission. Is the shifter the culprit? [sm=smiley5.gif]
Old 06-23-2006, 04:04 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tri-Ax shifter vibration (adv tech help needed)

Try borrowing a shifter from someone and see if it still does it. Mine vibrates to, has since my tranny has been rebuilt about 1600 miles ago back in January. I am missing a bolt from the hold down plate and someone told me thats the culprit, even though my shifter is snug and isnt loose, they said that even one bolt makes the shifter sit in place a little **** eyed and causes the vibration. But nothing has come of it so far. Where did you get your tranny re-built at? When you get them done you should take them someplace that is very well known, ask around. Word of mouth is much more reliable than mass advertising. I get my tranny work done by this guy who works out of his garage in his back yard. He does absoblutely wonderfull work and for alot less than anyone else in my area, alot of guys around the race track recomended him to me. My sister had her tranny done at a local shop, she's had to take it back five times due to it not wanting to shift, wineing, etc.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:33 PM
VinDiesel

I got some good advices from the forums on Mustangworld and Stangnet and I'm taking the driveshaft out to have it tested to see if it is damaged or bent. I'll let you guys know what happens
Old 06-25-2006, 09:55 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

The shifter only transmits the vibration, basically making you able to hear it, or feel it. If the vibration is there, its there regardless of the shifter.