5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New to mustangs question about how mine pulls

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 07:52 PM
jasonc84
1st Gear Member

Default New to mustangs question about how mine pulls

Well its hard to judge how hard its pulling since the speedo doesn't work, im gonna fix it but first i need to make it pass emisions....but anyways this is my first mustang and i just got it about a month ago, the mods areorted stock heads,f-303 cam,equal length headers,2 1/2 flowmaster exhaust,upper and lower typhoon intake manifold,MSD blaster coil,8mm motorsport plug wires,acccufab fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt worldclass t-5 tranny w/ pro 5.0 shifter,eibach drag springs,weld in frame connectors, 5 lug w/ 4 wheel disc brakes,3.55 POSI rearend, 18s with 275s. Anyways the car pulls up high i know thats due to the cam i have but it just doesn't feel like its pulling as hard as it should, i've had some friends tell me with the mods it could be in the mid 13s def don't think its acting like that. I'm just suprised by the fact that the car doesn't even spin tires unless i rev it up and pop the clutch in first, i know part of that could be due to the wide *** tires and drag springs but i really thought the car would have more ***** than it does. I know this could all be in my head but my buddy was behind me in his diesel truck that runs high 14s and i couldn't pull away from him. So anyways what are somethings i can check that could be hurting my peformance. I was thinking spark plugs, and the timing what timing would you all recomend with the mods i have listed.

On a side note how much work is it changing the cam, from what i've read the F cam isn't the cam for the feel i want. Someday id like to go forced induction of some kind but for now i'd like to have power down low. Sorry for the long post, like i said i'm a noob to mustangs previous car was a dodge srt4 so i'm trying to get back into V8s haven't been since i was a teenager.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:16 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New to mustangs question about how mine pulls

ORIGINAL: jasonc84

Well its hard to judge how hard its pulling since the speedo doesn't work, im gonna fix it but first i need to make it pass emisions....but anyways this is my first mustang and i just got it about a month ago, the mods areorted stock heads,f-303 cam,equal length headers,2 1/2 flowmaster exhaust,upper and lower typhoon intake manifold,MSD blaster coil,8mm motorsport plug wires,acccufab fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt worldclass t-5 tranny w/ pro 5.0 shifter,eibach drag springs,weld in frame connectors, 5 lug w/ 4 wheel disc brakes,3.55 POSI rearend, 18s with 275s. Anyways the car pulls up high i know thats due to the cam i have but it just doesn't feel like its pulling as hard as it should, i've had some friends tell me with the mods it could be in the mid 13s def don't think its acting like that. I'm just suprised by the fact that the car doesn't even spin tires unless i rev it up and pop the clutch in first, i know part of that could be due to the wide *** tires and drag springs but i really thought the car would have more ***** than it does. I know this could all be in my head but my buddy was behind me in his diesel truck that runs high 14s and i couldn't pull away from him. So anyways what are somethings i can check that could be hurting my peformance. I was thinking spark plugs, and the timing what timing would you all recomend with the mods i have listed.

On a side note how much work is it changing the cam, from what i've read the F cam isn't the cam for the feel i want. Someday id like to go forced induction of some kind but for now i'd like to have power down low. Sorry for the long post, like i said i'm a noob to mustangs previous car was a dodge srt4 so i'm trying to get back into V8s haven't been since i was a teenager.
12-16* timing is usually optimum. a tune up will likely help power. i would run these Self-Tests to find out what else is wrong with it. check the codes and let us know, good luck
Old 06-24-2006, 09:00 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

I am sure you are more wise than this, but just to make sure...Have you done a complete tune-up on it yet? You mentioned changing the wires, which leads me to believe you havn't done it yet. When I got my 5.0 I felt the same way as you. I did a complete tune. Changing EVERY fluid in the car, wires, plugs, filters, basically everything that wasnt metal[8D]. Give that a go, it might make the system wake up a tad bit.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:07 PM
jasonc84
1st Gear Member

well i just ordered a BBK air intake because i need a new filter thats for sure so i figured i'd get an intake instead of just a filter. I'm gonna change the oil and check all the fluids maybe tomorrow but thanks for the advice!
Old 06-24-2006, 09:16 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

new spark plugs always make my car feel better. i use autolite 25 plugs (regular, non-platinum) gapped to .052.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:18 PM
jasonc84
1st Gear Member

how much do you guys think it would cost to have a new cam installed??? The more i read the more it hink my chances at passing emisions with an F 303 cam are slim to none. I have 30 days to make the car pass emisions so i gotta get on it or i cant use the car and i use the car as a daily driver so thats not really an option. I know it will vary depending on the rates at shops i'm just looking for a general estimate thanks in advance.