5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Urgent! EEC Fuse keeps blowing (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:58 PM
ekafrawy

Default Urgent! EEC Fuse keeps blowing (pic inside)

For some reason i keep blowing my EEC fuse. I went to the track the other day and and when i was launching and the shifted into second the car dies due to that fuse blowing. And then i tried to replace it. It then started and ran fine. Then when i went to do a burnout. The fuse blew again. I then put a 30 amp fuse in and made it home which was 70 miles away. Then the next day the 30 amp fuse blew. Now it is just at my house and I need to figure out why it is doing this.

Here is a pic of the fuse that is blowing.

http://www.people.umass.edu/kafrawy/stang/fuse1.jpg

Can anyone tell me how i can find out what is causeing this to blow?

This is on a 1994 mustang GT 5spd.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Urgent! EEC Fuse keeps blowing (pic inside)

Get a FSM and start chasing wires. Something is shorting out, you gotta figure out why and where.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:33 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

yeah youve got a short somewhere but theres alot to check out, start with your PCM and go from there, check all your sensors.... Check your spark timing and the IAC valve......
Old 05-04-2004, 12:16 AM
ekafrawy

How do you test for a short? Can i just use a test light and put the tip in one side of the port where the EEC fuse would go and the alligator clip on the other side of the EEC fuse port, and move wires around untill the light comes on?

if not how do you test for a short circuit?

It also seems like the fuse pops after the car has been driven for a while, and then I try to start moving from a dead stop. everytime it is before or during me shifting unto second gear.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:32 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Well the main part of the EEC is the PCM sensor.... Do a system check for all this... you can use a scan tool or do it with a analog Voltmeter...... You can use a voltmeter by hooking to the battery and your data connector, and use a jumper wire to the harness....

Your best bet would be hooking it up to a scan tool though and get the codes......
Old 05-04-2004, 02:25 PM
ekafrawy

Well, this morning i went out and check for any codes. It came out with 111 system pass. But my eec fuse still blows every once in a while.

My question is how do i find a short using a test light? Someone told me to put each end of the test light in the slots where the blown eec fuse would go. My question is do I do this while the key is on the on position? or with the car running?

and once connected do i just move wires around untill the test light comes on?

Again this doesn't happen when the car is idle at a stop. It only happens when i try to go again, like off a traffic light. I let is run in my drive way for 2 hours and the fuse didn't blow.

thanks

Eric