5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help w/ rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:07 PM
blue corona

Default Help w/ rear main seal

Guys, this is my first technical post here, so sorry if my 392 crate motor stuff shouldn't be asked on this forum.

My 392 is being put back together again and all I had left was to install the rear main seal ("Standard" brand). My question is, one I slipped the seal over the crankshaft flange (not terribly easy with two hands), I put a 4" or so piece of pvc pipe against the seal, place a board on top of the pvc, and gave it a good whack with a big hammer. The seal went on great, but I don't know if it's all the way in. Based upon how hard I hit it, it's in and isn't going any farther (I tapped on it more with a softer hammer and it didn't move). I put a bead of ultra copper around between the block and the seal just incase.

How do you know how far to install the seal, or do you just tap it until it stops. Also, some guys say to grease the area where the spring is so it doesn't fall out during installation...I didn't do this.

Now I'm paranoid it's not in correct...but it's been tapped to death and isn't moving anymore. I can see perhaps 1/16" of the seal sticking out of the block.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2004, 06:49 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help w/ rear main seal

well typically you will have the metal part of the seal at least flush with the block,,,and the grease on the spring part of the seal is really meant for seals being put into an empty case or hole,,like say an axle seal,,because the spring is relaxed and could come out with beating,,but on a rear main the seal spring is being streatched as you put it on the crank so it shouldn't come off.

if you have beat it and it won't go any further than it just might be where it needs to be. the main thing is make sure that the crank sticks out farther than the seal or you risk flywheel/flexplate interferance with the seal, but the way it sounds its in farther than that already

hope that helped some
Old 05-19-2004, 06:56 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

They make a rear seal installer tool that you can use, and you just tighten these bolts on it and it sets the seal into place....

But your seal after youve got it installed, I think they sit like .005 from the face of the block...
Your supposed to coat the seal with oil before you put the new one in, but Ive never heard of anyone using a sealant on them....

Its hard when you cant look at it, but sounds like it just may need to go on a little further... Go check at like Auto ZOne or CHecker or Pep Boys and see if they will lend you that rear main seal tool... then use that and itll make sure you get it on there nicely....
Old 05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
blue corona

Thanks...

Yeah the crank flange sticks out farther than the seal. I could try the installation tool from autozone or where also.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

If it aint going in any farthur then it aint going in any farthur. I just rub oil on the inside and outside of the seals when I put them in - and thats all anyone really needs to do. I suppose if the motors gonna sit for a while before being ran then grease wouldnt be a bad idea. The seal is gonna be right flush with the block or super close to it when you put it in. If in doubt - pull the seal and try again with a new one. I can tell you, a $4.00 seal isnt worth having to go back in there and replace it when its leaking.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:54 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

my 1 piece seal goes on past the flush mark to the bevel,, 94 351w block..1/4 inch in,,[&:]