5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

some questions for a new ford guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 AM
belmontmild

Default some questions for a new ford guy

Its kinda deep but it starts here..

Im looking at a 5.0 L engine to drop into this beast...
I think its a 93 engine with the wiring all intact trying to get an answer on the engine year?
ECU is seperate/ A9L or AL9 89 box the guy says im wondering whats interchangeable on the mustang 5 L's?
The ECU is for a 5 speed box if im talking garbage someone please straighten me out... I would like to get some knowledge here asap..

Im looking for a 5.0L gas tank as well with the fuel pump sender inside im guessing?
Can you run an inline fuel pump? and bypass the need for the fords gastank? Cause then i would just get an inline pump and add it to the 4runners tank (inline)..

And next gauges i would be running autometers whitefaced ones so im wondering if i need anythng from a mustang that anyone could think of?

And almost lastly the headers whats the best headers on the mrket for the engine/ also heard talk of a better oil pump or something like that can anyone steer me to the names...

Thanks
jAY
Old 07-20-2006, 01:36 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: some questions for a new ford guy

wow that thing is a monster

im not really understanding what you're saying about the eec deal?

you should be able to run an electric inline pump with no problem

the autometer guages will have everything you need to wire them up. unless they're electric, you'll need the coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor

the headers you'll probably have to have custom made. but i dunno
Old 07-20-2006, 01:46 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

there are several differnent versions of the 302 EEC, they're really all about the same.
and yes they made different computers for 5 speed vs. automatic.

do a google search for "Ford EEC-IV" if you really want to understand the differences
A 1989 A9L computer should work fine though, i think, and should be set-up for Mass Air instead of Speed Density

production year is coded into the serial number of the block if you're worried about it.
....... the first letter of serial number is the decade
B = 1950-59
C = 1960-69
ect
F = 1990-99
......... second number is the year of that decade
so s/n starting with F3 would've been made in 1993.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

if it has a stock gas tank u can run a high volum pump like holley mechanical ,or a electric in line....
Old 07-20-2006, 02:07 AM
belmontmild

Okay good stuff im going to get the engine and run a advanced adaptor to a V6 5 speed tranny/toy case....

Oh and what are people doing to these engines bump them up?
Im a chevy guy turning to the darkside end result name for the beast will be fordrunner aka whorerunner
Old 07-20-2006, 03:47 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

bump the timing, intakes, heads, cams, anything you can do to a chevy you can do to a ford.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:52 PM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

I've worked on a few toyota truck V8 engine swaps over the years. My mustang is the loner in my small collection. My other 4 vehicles are all toyota 4x4's. Anyway, on the last chevy TPI and last mustang 5.0 EFI swaps I worked on, the stock high pressure pump was retained. Both of these are set up with a pressure regulator stock, and a return line, so it seemed to work fine. But both motors were stock, which was plenty for the toyotas with 33 inch tires. The 5.0 swap was on a 86 sr5, about 12 years ago. I recall there being clearance issues with the radiator, and a custom radiator that fit inside/under the radiator support had to be custom built for it. We adapted the stock toyota sending units for the oil pressure and coolant temp to the 5.0, and put a resistor inline with the tach lead so it wouldn't read double the correct rpm. That truck we used advance adapters headers on, the set of shorty mustange headers hit something, I don't recall what. I also don't recall much of the specifics of the engine wiring, but I remember it was a major pain. This was before you could buy a street rod style harness from ford for the motor. EFI to EFI swaps always seem to be complicated. But if you know what you're doing and can read wiring diagrams they aren't too terrible I guess. Also if you are going to beat the snot out of this rig I would consider a different tranny/transfercase combo. You can get a kit to convert to a T5 that also converts it to a hydraulic clutch instead of a cable. I believe this only mates to a 4 cyl transfercase though. But this is a good thing. The 4 cyl transfercase is gear driven instead of chain driven, and there is way more aftermarket availability for the 4 cyl case. The toyota 5 speeds are pretty good for normal driving with a V8, but the added torque and larger tires, they do break pretty easy. And it's way cheaper to fix a T5 than a toyota v6 tranny.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:59 PM
belmontmild