5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Water leak, driver side..??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:52 AM
jetjocchris

Default Water leak, driver side..??

Ok, so I picked up my car yesterday and brought her home. Today I give her a good bath and to my surprise I find that water has leaked in on the driver side under the dash. The carpet was wet and I saw a drip coming down the clutch pedal. What gives??? Does anyone know where this leak could be or has anyone experienced the same and fixed it??? It is a 89 LX with 23,000 original miles in stock form. A really great car but this leak has perplexed me!!!!

Please help........

Sorry no pics but will get some up soon..

Also it rained later today, of course I washed it, and although I'm not sure for how long or how hard because I was gone but there was no water on the carpet from the rain???? What is going on???

Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Water leak, driver side..??

Was the windsheild replaced? THe one on ours had been and they didnt get a good seal at the top and it leaked there. We fixed it with some dum-dum. I first thought it was the weatherstripping since it was shot. Also if you wash the engine bay it might have leaked around the grommet for the clutch cable.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 AM
jetjocchris

Ah hah!! I did wash the engine bay, Do you think this could be it? I did not use high pressure or anything but I did wash it out pretty good...

The windshield is original so maybe it was the clutch grommet.

That would explain why it did not leak when it rained....

Excellent, I hope that is it. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, maybe I will get to test your theory again..

Thanks boss_hotrod
Old 07-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

If it was the clutch grommet there might be water around the brake pedal as well since the cable hooks on the right side of the brak pedal (I think been awhile since I did a cable swap).
Old 07-21-2006, 01:25 AM
jetjocchris

Yeah, I hope it was just from washing the engine. I'll get a better idea when it rains again. Should there be some type of sealant around that grommet??

Would hate to think water would come in while driving in the rain, not that I will be driving in the rain alot but just a thought.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I dont think so. It should be just like any other grommet though. Ive got one of those aftermarket billet adjusters so I don thave that grommet.