5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

The day the engine died...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:59 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: The day the engine died...

keep the stock air intake

most aftermarkets are for looks only

drop a k&n into the box and it will breathe 200x better

exhaust u will see little to no gains, chose it based upon sound and ur states laws (emissions)

if u want bang for the buck performance, get some 4.10 gears

if its an auto get a shift kit if its a manual short throw shifter
Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 AM
TomSegers

Thanks for all the replies.

Update on the 'stang - the dealer is saying the PCM unit is not working - which is why the engine is not starting.

Anybody had this problem before? Anybody know how much a new PCM unit is? Are there any tests to carry out wether this is actually the PCM unit or something else?

Thanks!

Tom
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM
TomSegers

Now they are saying that the PCM IS working, and the PCM says that the Distributor Assembly is not working....

Does anybody know any way I can easily check wether the distributor assembly is actually working or not? I have a good mind to just take the car from them and try do the work myself - my Haynes manual should be getting here shortly!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM
hollister
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TomSegers

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1994 GT Convertible (A/T) and happily cruising along until I noticed my rpm start dropping. It bounced up and down around the 1000 range and then died. I could get it to crank up again, but no ignition - so battery and starter are fine. I had been in traffic for about 20 minutes and had just past the jam when this happened. I pulled to the side of the road, checked usual fluids and looked for leaks but could find nothing wrong. After about 20 minutes, I started her up again with success. Idle was steady at around 900 (normal for my car), and then it suddenly died again after about 1 minute. Any ideas?

The car hasn't had a service for about 8 months or so (was on my list of things to do when I got the time). It has about 90K miles on it (odometer broke so not too sure about the mileage). I suspect either faulty fuel pump or clogged injectors. Can anybody recommend a way for me to test whether this is actually the case? Would it show up on any kind of diagnostic equipment? Can anybody think of other causes?

In case of injectors, I've been looking at some aftermarket ones. Does anybody know the specs for the stock injectors? 19LBs? I've seen a few ones at 30 and even at 40 LB's. Is this worth the extra cash if everything else is stock or are these just needed when you have upgraded the rest - intake, exhaust, sparks, turbo, etc?

Appreciate any help in advance - still waiting on my Haynes repair manual!

Thanks,

Tom
I would suspect the fuel pump, the pump relay, or simply a clogged filter. If you can find where to check the fuel pressure and have no guage, you can simply depress the center of the valve with your fingernail or a small screwdriver with the key on. At least you would know if the pump is on lol