5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Distributor Install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default Distributor Install help

Hey fellas, I'm trying to find someone to give a detailed, step by step walkthrough on a dizzy install for a 302. I'm trying to help someone out, but I don't think the dizzy was marked before removal. I've looked on Google and several other (unmentionable) forums, but not much luck. Any help is much appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Adrian
Old 08-09-2006, 12:35 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Distributor Install help

What state is the motor in? Is it in the car and all assembled?

If so, take the #1 plug out (you can take them all out if you want - it'll spin easier but it's not necessary) and spin motor until you feel air being pushed out of #1 hole and stop turning when the air stops coming out.
Verify it's on compression - check the balancer to see if you see timing marks. If you see the other side of the balancer, repeat the process - the next time you feel the air pushing out of #1, you should be on compression. When it stops coming out, you should be at or near the top of the stroke. Again, verify that you have timing marks at your pointer. Adjust the balancer (spin the motor) so the pointer is at or near 0* (I actually just point the thing to 10*). Mark your desired timing mark with a grease pencil or something like that so you can time the car later. I mark 0* with a short mark and 10* with a longer mark.

Put your distributor in, with the rotor pointing at or near the #1 terminal. It may be beneficial to put the cap on the rotor and mark the base so you know where it is when you're trying to point the rotor.

Make sure you have enough distributor body adjustment to time the car (the module isn't hitting the thermostat housing or anything).

Time the car and you should be good.

- Jeff

Edit: Spelling