5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Just finished balancer. Some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Just finished balancer. Some thoughts.

I just got my new balancer on, and buttoned everything back together. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

So after I pulled the fan, shroud, and crank pulley, I attempted to break loose the balancer bolt by hammering the handle of my ratchet. I did this for a few minutes, but was only able to turn the motor over. I was reluctant to use the starter-bump method, so I went through mine and a neighbors toolboxes, and dug out an assortment of breaker bars, forked prybars, giant wrenches and C-clamps--none of which were effective at breaking down the morale of that bolt.

Then, I rotated the task in my mind so that I could look at it from a different vantage point, and it came to me. This is what finally worked: I took a mammoth set of vice-grips and clamped them onto one of the bolt flanges/fins on the old balancer. Then I stacked plywood under the handle of the vice-grips so that they couldn't rotate. Then I took an old needle-style torque wrench (useless) that I had in the garage, and layed into the bolt with medium force. The poor bolt screeched as it broke loose, as if to say, "you may have won, but my scream will echo in your mind forever, and haunt your dreams." Then I broke out the balancer puller, and the process accelerated from there.

Observations:
1. About 2 cups of what looked like potting soil was caked into my crank pulley and balancer.
2. With the old balancer, my base timing read about 14* BTC. With the new balancer on, it read about 11* Needless to say, I bumped it back up to 14*
3. The front main seal was exposed, and could should have been replaced while I was in there.
4. Changing the balancer has had little effect on the cars running--maybe a slight reduction in the mild vibes I was having before.

Anyway, hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
rockett1978
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Just finished balancer. Some thoughts.