5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

NEED HELP ASAP....STARTING

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP ASAP....STARTING

there is a special pin on the Self test plug...the one that looks like a house and is black.

It is the un-used one for self test. Its a test plug for the fuel pump relay. Ground it (car off, key on) and see if you hear a loud click of the fuel pump relay under the seat.

BTW, check for a vacumn leak. This can cause a crank/no start.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

when you turn the key foward do you hear the relay switching? grab the relay with one hand and turn the key foward with the other listen and feel for the relay kicking on.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

when you turn the key foward do you hear the relay switching? grab the relay with one hand and turn the key foward with the other listen and feel for the relay kicking on.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:51 PM
mgokool

ok...heres what i've come across:

when i turn the key on, the relay doesn't click on...tested relay, relay good...theres 4 wires that go to the relay...one of the wires is orange/green. when i turn the ignition on, this wire gets power...with the ignition on if i put ground to that same wire the relay clicks on and pump starts pumping. I've traced that wire back to the harness by the driver's kick panel, it goes into a plug and color changes from orange/green to brown/green...that wire goes all the way up into the dash where i cant see it anymore...i'm guessing its going to the computer....anyway...with ignition on it gets power and if i ground it with ignition on, relay kicks over and pump pumps...

ANY IDEAS????? PLEASE...
Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you have your firing order out of sequence..check your dizzy.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:23 AM
mgokool

to everyone who helped in this thread....THANKS!!.....three problems were resolved....

firing order was wrong...
distributor was wrong...
and the main engine ground cable was disconnected...as i posted in another thread...

again, THANKS!!!