5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:52 AM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: turbo or supercharger

ORIGINAL: RacquetballRyan

Care to explain everything that goes into building a turbo system?
I don't want to hi-jack the thread over this, so feel free to start a new one.
Its a valid question/topic.
I'm going to do a single Turbo. Some people use a set of shorty headers and flip them around and start the process like that. But there's interferance with sway bars and other issues. You're basicaly stuck with how the headers point out. What I'm going to do is make a set of log headers which will have plenty of clearance and make plenty of power for MY goals, and I'll be able to keep everything else stock; like A/C and suspension. I'll use a 3" down tube that will Y to my catback system, and nobody will be the wiser. I'm all about the sleeper theory.

With a Turbo, you can have as much power as you want. You just get the Turbo that will give it to you, and build around it. Check out this dudes crazy race setup. http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ind...?topic=68023.0

Go here! http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/
Old 09-07-2006, 12:58 AM
mpswirl
2nd Gear Member

I have a turbo kit on my car, T66 intercooled. Iam probably going to start making headers or possibly kits with a buddy of mine. I also am tired of having to spend an arm and a leg for turbo stuff so we want to start are own stuff. I can get at all my plugs without removing any pipes or any swivels and thats what i like. I turned the intake around and have a blow through intercooler.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:16 AM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazinyellowbeast

And is building your own turbo kit worth the headache, rather than buying one. Just wondering, I have no expierence with turbos.
I wouldn't equate it to a headache. I have the skills to do the headers and piping; which is the hardest thing. Other than that, I'll only need to not get greedy with power and blow my motor up.

Besides, it's something I'd like to do; another car project. Anything worth having is worth the effort to get it. There's plenty of info and parts out there to do this stuff. The September issue of Hot Rod was great! This dude Tom Nelson built a 406 Twin Turbo that makes 1000hp on pump gas, and idles at 700 rpm! And that's a motor with driveability. With race gas it made 1500hp! My motor idles at 1000 rpms, and drives like ****e!

I can use the stock 5.0 cam, and I'll have great driveability and mileage, and big power if I want it. I want a motor with big power, but with manners. Turbo is the way. You can run a small duration cam, and cruise around staying out of the boost, and your car will purr like a kitten. It's not like having a big stinky NA race cam that burns your eyes with gas fumes, and stinks up your clothes. THen when I load up the motor, the boost comes in and it game on.

Check this out.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ion/index.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ent/index.html
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 AM
mpswirl
2nd Gear Member

First off if someone tells you its simple to build dont believe them. You will get tired of cutting and welding pipes quickly. I spent about 2 weeks and made custom headers not those flip around ones everyone uses and they have to move the p/s up to the a/c area. Then you have the downpipe to make and the wastegate to weld in. I thought it was simple at first also then 2 weeks later i thought different. Then you need injectors, fuel pump, blow off valve, wideband o2 sensor, chip or preferred standalone computer, wastegate, plugs, coil and spark enhansor(msd),fuel pressure regulator, larger radiator and a diaper for when you soil your pants when the boost hits. Its deffinaltely cheaper for a supercharger but turbos rule.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 AM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

and a diaper for when you soil your pants when the boost hits
Old 09-07-2006, 03:29 AM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

Turbo. Id go with a Helion kit. Cost around 5g.