5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
88mustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

It only takes about 2-3 hours to install a dry kit, the part that took me the longest was running the main feed line from the trunk to the front of the car. It only takes a couple minutes to swap out the jets, you just have to undo spray nozzle and swap them out. I was running a 150 shot on a stock bottom end with a few bolt ons.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:00 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 81ponycar

all i am saying is get the wet shot not the dry shot. the dry shot is way way harder on the motor. i dont think a stock 5.0 can even handle a dry shot.
Yes and no...the whole point with dry shots is to jet them feasibly so that the computer makes fuel adjustments for you (in the same manner that a wet kit provides additional fuel). So ya, if you put some rediculous shot size in there that the fuel system can't compensate for then yes it will be hard on the motor. But running a wet nitrous setup doesn't make things less hard on the motor....and there is a lot more tuning involved.

Ive seen a dry kit on a 5liter that went between 75hp and 100hp jets and had absolutely nooo problems at all with detonation and/or engine components crapping out. high mileagle too...

...its all about not being a dumbass when your using it...
Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

The thing that you were talking about mounting a gauge or for the extra fuel supply sounds like the schrader valve. My dry kit from NOS is just the Stage 1 or whatever it is. It included a fuel pressure safety switch that won't let you trigger the nitrous unless you have at least 40lbs of pressure or something like that (I read that glancing thru the manual). NOS has awesome instructions and they have a tech line if you need any kind of help. I bought mine off of ebay and have yet to install it, as its just a pile of wires hoses and more wires...
Old 09-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe
...its all about not being a dumbass when your using it...

KABOOM!!!![sm=oopssign.gif]
Old 09-07-2006, 04:17 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Does it matter how much compression your running when it comes to nitrous? What about mixing in a little racing fuel, would that help?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

It is pretty easy to install (I have a bunch of pictures of my install on my cardomain site), and you should be burning the highest octane fuel you can get (ie premium), you will also get way more responses from guys who run it in the nitrous section, there are guys there that seem to know everything about nitrous
Cheers
Kev
Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 PM
10732gt
1st Gear Member

dont be afraid to run 150 shot on a good bottom end you will be fine so dss advises most new kit like zex have a computer to retard the timming and can only be activated at wide
open throtel remeber nos is just atmosphier ina bottel more o2 means more fire and faster burn of the fuel run no less than 93 octain or it could backfire and take the bottom out
and remeber one thing dont be afraid to put it to it.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 PM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

dont use dry kits. there cheaper but its not a smart idea as it way to easy to go lean as you are not adding additional extra fuel. if you have a weak injector your asking for trouble.

wet kits for mustangs are not any harder to install. you hook up the fuel supply hose to the schreader valve on the fuel rail (the tire pressure looking thing). the other side goes to the soloniod, there is another short length that goes from the solonoid to the plate that attaches behind the throttle body. it adds mabey 5-10 min to your install time.

make sure you have someone who fills bottles in your area. if you have to drive 50 miles to get fills it doesnt make sence.

a general rule of thumb is for every 100hp you drop 1 second of your time. this isnt always true as the faster you go the more power it takes to go faster. if you have a low 10sec car 100hp might get you high 9's. and a 200 shot might get you mid 9's.

im oldschool in my thinking. i believe that you have no buisness using nitrous if you run slower than 11's. i feel the same way about superchargers. build the engine to run 11's and go from there.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:34 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

Most of the dry kits for 5.0s have some sort of way to regulate fuel pressure, so while going lean could be devastating, newer kits make it hard to do so. The stage 1 NOS kit can utilize a fuel pressure safety cutoff to assure that your getting good fuel pressure before hitting the juice. Likewise, with ZEX, the ecu box monitors adjusts timing based off of computer reads and progressively pumps in nitrous as neccessary to avoid the same lean conditions.

And just because your adding fuel to the mix doesn't mean your making things any safer. With wet kits there a whole nother set of problems like puddling and things of that sort. Going back to who is asking (the newb)...I would say simple little 75-100hp dry kit will be perfect for him when hes ready to do so.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:04 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

just adding a couple of things here

your fuel pump should be upgraded if you use a wet or dry kit, the fuel still has to come from the same fuel tank.

a wet kit injects the nitrous and fuel at the same time, through a specially designed spray nozzle
there is usually a fuel solenoid, and a nitrous solenoid, with the exception of a zex kit, in this case they have a nitrous management control box with everything built in. it has ports to hook up the fuel supply line, and nitrous and instead of a switch for WOT activation it uses a wire to tap into the TPS signal to see when your at WOT.

a dry kit only sprays nitrous, but taps into the vaccum line off your fuel pressure regulator, and when you spray, the fuel pressure raises significantly to around 80-90psi and sprays the extra fuel through the injectors.

both ways are safe, and use at least 92 octane fuel with any amount of nitrous.
wet kits will usually make more power, and if you have a supercharger you cant use a dry kit.
so if you plan on boosting in the future get a wet kit.

dry kits are safer, and easier to install. the hardest part about installing nitrous is routing the line under the car and mounting the bottle brackets.

dont raise the timing too high, or it will detonate, but every engine is different.

I have a zex dry kit, and with the 125 shot I can run 14 degrees of timing without detonation, on 94 octane fuel.

I started at 8 degrees and went up a little bit at a time.

and about the nitrous jets, the kits come with numerous jets and a chart.
use the jets they say to use for fuel and nitrous and you be okay.
you will have to get your bottle filled, and it gets used when you spray it.
there isnt a little cartrige that has a 50 shot, it is measured by the jets.

I hope this helps you out.
and you will be addicted from the first time you use it.

nitrous is great fun

Quick Reply: Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots