5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

i think a miss?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Default i think a miss?

when i first crank up my car it will idle then it goes up and down and then kills if i dont give it gas, i know my idles set low but it seems like a miss my dad says its a miss anyways. i know i have some vac. leaks, so my question is: can a nice enough vac. leak seem like a miss? i changed wires & plugs. my next step is im putting a new tb, intake n some other new parts i have, and if that doesnt fix it ill probably change my idle air control and hopefully if that doesnt fix it its my 02 sensor? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: i think a miss?

I dont know if it can seem like a miss but check these two things....

I used to have that problem with my car running really rough when I started it. Like it has a huge cam but then smoothes out after about 10 secs.

Check your batt voltage and make sure your batt is fully charged. This will help your spark and will help your car run smoother.

Check your air idle control module. Take it off and clean it up.

Make sure you fix those vacuum leaks or just temp seal them for now.

If that doesn't fix it make sure your fuel pump is not running poorly before it warms up.

That is all I can think of right now.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

itll run fine once it warms up, so i think its just idling problems, battery is new, new terminals, im almost positive its not the fuel pump, im going to clean the iac when i change my tb, cai, & stock intake to edelbrock intake. mine sounds like you said it has a huge cam in it when you first crank it. but once i go run it hard itll be fine.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

itll run fine once it warms up, so i think its just idling problems, battery is new, new terminals, im almost positive its not the fuel pump, im going to clean the iac when i change my tb, cai, & stock intake to edelbrock intake. mine sounds like you said it has a huge cam in it when you first crank it. but once i go run it hard itll be fine.
Do that first. Should only take a few hours off and on. I haven't done that to mine yet but pretty sure that will fix if not help alot of what you are running into.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

im just going to get a new one i think, so that way my whole intake setup will be new, new intake, bbk cai, new tb, egr elim. and i may have them shoot my timing also. what should i set it on?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

cleaning iac only takes 5 min.....it sounds to me it stays in closed loop too long o2's can fugg with ya on that
Old 09-10-2006, 10:41 PM
obsolete13

My car has a similar problem. It's (usually) fine when it's cold but after it warms up it starts to surge and get worse and worse until i rev it or it dies. I used to get random check engine lights until I changed the throttle position sensor. That didn't fix the idle problem but it got rid of a few dead zones. I got a new IAC and that fixed my problem completely for two whole days.... (wtf?) I know the battery is getting plenty of juice and I just changed out the wires, fuel filter and cap-n-rotor. All that's left is plugs (which seem to be in almost new condition) and the O2 sensors... It's got Bosch sensors and Platinum2 plugs... Is there any way to check the O2 sensors? I've heard that platinum plugs are bad for 5.0's, is that true?

Any help you guys can give is appreciated.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: obsolete13

My car has a similar problem. It's (usually) fine when it's cold but after it warms up it starts to surge and get worse and worse until i rev it or it dies. I used to get random check engine lights until I changed the throttle position sensor. That didn't fix the idle problem but it got rid of a few dead zones. I got a new IAC and that fixed my problem completely for two whole days.... (wtf?) I know the battery is getting plenty of juice and I just changed out the wires, fuel filter and cap-n-rotor. All that's left is plugs (which seem to be in almost new condition) and the O2 sensors... It's got Bosch sensors and Platinum2 plugs... Is there any way to check the O2 sensors? I've heard that platinum plugs are bad for 5.0's, is that true?

Any help you guys can give is appreciated.
Those plugs are bad for any car. Ive had them in a v6 and they went bad in 5000 miles.