5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM
90mustangcobra?!?

Default Transmission removal

My flywheel is missing teeth(I think, I replaced the starter twice thinking I might of had a faulty starter, sometimes it starts and other times it makes a whizz noise, but if i push it and try to start it, it starts, so im pretty sure its the flywheel)so I am pulling my transmission but I cant get to the top two bolts, is there a trick to this? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission removal

First... what year car is it? I am guessing a 90 GT/LX? Are you talking about the top two bolts that attaches the trans to the motor? If so you should be able to get to them with a wrench... a rachet wrench would be perfect for a job like that..
Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90mustangcobra?!?

My flywheel is missing teeth(I think, I replaced the starter twice thinking I might of had a faulty starter, sometimes it starts and other times it makes a whizz noise, but if i push it and try to start it, it starts, so im pretty sure its the flywheel)so I am pulling my transmission but I cant get to the top two bolts, is there a trick to this? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Is it and AOD or T5?
T5's are easy, just remove the gear box and you'll have room to get the top 2 bolts from under the car.
If its an AOD, it'll fight ya the first time around. As 88BlueGT said, a wratchet wrench works great here once you're broken them loose. Otherwise, if they're really tight, remove the upper intake. Once you've removed the trans, chase the block with a tap and the bolts with a die to clean the threads. This will make installing and removing the bolts a breeze. Use some anti-sieze on the threads also.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

We removed the top top on the bellhousing to engine using a ratchet, 2-3 ft of extension, and a universal joint. It makes it so much easier since you and stick the socket way up in ther and have the leverage down low where you need it (boy that didnt sound right). If its on the ones on the tranny to bell housing also use a universal and some extensions.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:28 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

LOL. Sound's like you're doing it the stupid hard route. There is a very easy way to do it. Put the bottom two (one on bottom left & one on bottom right) back in & torque them down a bit. Then unbolt the transmission crossmember (two LONG bolts attached to two nuts), drop the back of the transmission. Make sure the driveshaft yolk stays in when you're lowering it you will have to unbolt it from the rearend though. (only 4 bolts but they are 12 point) from there you can EASILY get the two top bolts.

When they are both out. raise the rear back up & put the bolts back in the crossmember, Don't put the nuts back on, just the bolt this will hold the crossmember in place (makes it alot easier to take the bottom two bolts back out & less likely to damage them). Bring a jack under it & raise it up to the center of the transmission. Then undo the two bottom bolts you put back in the bell, jack the transmission up just enough to pull the two bolts in the crossmember back out, then lower the jack. Viola