5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pan removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default oil pan removal?

well my oil pan gasket is leaking, so im gonna have to remove the oil pan to replace it. is it possible to remove teh oil pan w. out pullin the motor up any? or am i going to have to lift the motor some? thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 01:43 AM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: oil pan removal?

yea drop the crossmember
Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I just took mine out, I had the tranny out and the timing cover off, I also have moroso motor mounts that raised the motor about an inch. I also had to take the rack off to get it off. Pulling the motor up with a hoist would be the least difficult way. You could probably get away with out jacking the motor at all and just dropping the pan and putting the gasket in there. A multipiece gasket does make it easier.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

The easiest way to replace a pan gasket is a lil bit more involved than some would lead you to believe..

For starters.. Stocksuspension.... shut up

unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the front of the motor. Once the motor is up a bit you can proceed to remove the oil pan bolts. once you ahve the oil pan unbolts you can drop it down onto the k-member. Heres where it gets tricky.

You have two options at this point. Either 1. Remove the oil pickup tube and slide out the whole pan (i would o it this way b/c you can then use some high tack gasket sealant to stick the new gasket to the pan. OR 2. remove the old gasket and try to slide the new gasket on by either going around the pan or down inside the pan and under the pickup tube. Depending on what type of gasket was used before you may have to drop the whole pan out anyway.

For your sake, I hope it has a ruber gasket with no sealer instead of a cork gasket with sealer.... cork and sealer will be your worst nightmare.

GL
Keith
Old 09-22-2006, 06:49 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

The easiest way to replace a pan gasket is a lil bit more involved than some would lead you to believe..

For starters.. Stocksuspension.... shut up

unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the front of the motor. Once the motor is up a bit you can proceed to remove the oil pan bolts. once you ahve the oil pan unbolts you can drop it down onto the k-member. Heres where it gets tricky.

You have two options at this point. Either 1. Remove the oil pickup tube and slide out the whole pan (i would o it this way b/c you can then use some high tack gasket sealant to stick the new gasket to the pan. OR 2. remove the old gasket and try to slide the new gasket on by either going around the pan or down inside the pan and under the pickup tube. Depending on what type of gasket was used before you may have to drop the whole pan out anyway.

For your sake, I hope it has a ruber gasket with no sealer instead of a cork gasket with sealer.... cork and sealer will be your worst nightmare.

GL
Keith

+1
Old 09-22-2006, 12:01 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i thnk its ruber... i can see it going out the side some where its leaking.... multipiece... never even thought of that, thatll make life easier
Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 PM
nrs91gt

Just unbolt the pan and drop it onto the crossmember to put new gaskets on. I replaced the oil pan and both mains that way last week