5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

grinding 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: grinding 2nd

Or you if you wanted you could get to know your car better and not used the clutch at all except for 1st when stopped to get'er rollin', won't grind that way either.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:29 PM
89regattaLX
1st Gear Member

I was thinking about just going from 1st to 3rd...I'll have to try them both out and see which I like better
Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
89regattaLX
1st Gear Member

dude I'd grind every gear that way
Old 09-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89regattaLX

Nah, I drove a Sunbird once (I work at a shop) so I didn't even know the car and i was messin around with it and never used the clutch, didn't grind once. All you have to do is learn your RPM to speed ratio. For instance, say at 3000rpm in second you're goin 35, just put it into neutral, bring the RPMs up to roughly 3000rpm when you're rollin at 35 and slide it into 2nd, shifts soft like an automatic if you shift that way. (all without touching the clutch pedal of course) This method is good if you have a snapped clutch cable, did it in a 4cyl mustang that I owned aha, all i did was depressed the clutch and hit the starter to get it rolling and gave it some gas and off she went aha
Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

You know, one night me and my friend went out with this girl, she was really ditsy, well...she wanted to drive his 5.0, but had neve driven a 5 speed before..so she starts off really well actually, besides her winding the rpms out to like 4K before shifting, well instead of pressing the clutch in she just slams it down out of 1st gear and grinds second so bad it just clunks andthe car shutters before it goes into gear..hahaha, he flipped out when she did this...we asked her what the hell she was doing after we stopped and felt safe again (she got out of the drivers seat) she told us she only thought you only used the clutch when you were starting off and you could just shift regulary after that.

He never called her back after that night.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

You know, one night me and my friend went out with this girl, she was really ditsy, well...she wanted to drive his 5.0, but had neve driven a 5 speed before..so she starts off really well actually, besides her winding the rpms out to like 4K before shifting, well instead of pressing the clutch in she just slams it down out of geat and grinds second so bad it just clunks and goes into gear..hahaha, he flipped out when she did this...we asked her what the hell she was doing after we stopped and felt safe again (she got out of the drivers seat) she told us she only thought you only used the clutch when you were starting off and you could just shift regulary after that.

He never called her back after that night.
Lmfao
Old 09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

It is really not that hard to shift without the clutch. I have driven everything from a 74 camaro to a 2002 mustang without the clutch. Once in a blue moon though it just won't go into gear. Just get to know your car. I don't know about double clutching a car, I have never done it. But, it sounds like it is worth a try.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 PM
89regattaLX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

Nah, I drove a Sunbird once (I work at a shop) so I didn't even know the car and i was messin around with it and never used the clutch, didn't grind once. All you have to do is learn your RPM to speed ratio. For instance, say at 3000rpm in second you're goin 35, just put it into neutral, bring the RPMs up to roughly 3000rpm when you're rollin at 35 and slide it into 2nd, shifts soft like an automatic if you shift that way. (all without touching the clutch pedal of course) This method is good if you have a snapped clutch cable, did it in a 4cyl mustang that I owned aha, all i did was depressed the clutch and hit the starter to get it rolling and gave it some gas and off she went aha
wow, I never heard of that...but I don't know if I'd want to try and attempt that..lol
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

It really isn't all that bad. It just takes a little practice. Look at it this way; your grinding 2nd anyways, why not try something that might work.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

wow, I never heard of that...but I don't know if I'd want to try and attempt that..lol
Haha try it, you aren't going to hurt anything, if anything, it's easier on the tranny, and clutch as you're no longer using the syncros so they're not wearing out and your clutch isn't being worn down, so there's really no downside to doing it other than it takes jsut a little bit longer to shift, just give it a try, can't hurt

Quick Reply: grinding 2nd