5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tried everything i know!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:03 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tried everything i know!

Thats a toughie...i guess take the positive battery cable off of the battery for a few minutes and that should reset your computer. Then see where your at, check the air filter to and if your air silencer is in there, try making sure nothing is up in there blocking it.

Clean the MAF anyways, sometimes they come dirty, just spray some electical parts cleaner on it and gently wipe it with a Q-tip.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:18 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

How does it act when warm? Checked for a vacuum leak?

Do you have a timing light or a friend of yours have one? If so then you can put it on each of the plug wires while it's idling for consistant spark to see if the reason it's doing this is in the ignition somewhere.

& the free simple check for a blown headgasket, take the radiator cap off WHEN THE ENGINES COLD & start it. See if any fluid comes out, hopefully it won't.

How are the O2's?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Longhorn80

I'll try cleaning the MAF and i am going to go get new O2 sensors, hopefully that will fix it. If not then I guess I will just have to deal with it?

When it it warm it just has a rough idle like it has a bigger cam, cant find any vaccum leaks, i'll ckeck with the timing light tomorrow. and the head gasket is ok, i tried that today.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:29 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Longhorn80

I'll try cleaning the MAF and i am going to go get new O2 sensors, hopefully that will fix it. If not then I guess I will just have to deal with it?

When it it warm it just has a rough idle like it has a bigger cam, cant find any vaccum leaks, i'll ckeck with the timing light tomorrow. and the head gasket is ok, i tried that today.

Try checking the dizzy shaft for play, as i remember, a friend of mine had something like this happening to his car. It was missing but he wasnt noticing it, it just idled nasty as you've said. But we checked his dizzy and the shaft would move about 1/8 either way. The bearings were gone.

But also, try cleaning the 02's first. Just burn them with a torch until they turn white.

You should also check ur fuel pressure.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 AM
Longhorn80

I will try all of this tomorrow, thank you for you help. Also what could be majorly wrong that would cause this problem, just trying to think ahead just in case.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:17 AM
bakedog
1st Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_563238/tm.htm

go to this link and look and number 45 its the barometric pressure sensor i was telling you about
Old 10-01-2006, 11:41 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

usually cleaning the IAC motor will do more harm then good. My car idled fine until i used electric motor and brake cleaner on my IAC.... then it ran like crap. I replaced the IAC and all my problems went away