5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Motor going in... have several break-in questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Default New Motor going in... have several break-in questions...

New Motor going in... have several break-in questions...
Ok, so here's the motor that's going in my car...

Stock 302 block .030 over
.030 over DSS Flat Top Pistons Fly Cut
Stock crank and rods that are fresh from machine shop.
FRPP X Cam
Ford Racing 1.6 Roller Rockers
Trickflow pushrods
Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads with some porting
2.02 and 1.60 ferrea valves
Comp Double Springs for .600 lift
Holley Systemax Upper/Lower w/ 1 inch heat spacer
Adjustable FPR
no a/c or smog for this car FRPP a/c delete

also, not any time soon, but next spring I plan to add a 150 shot to this setup... :fingersx:

Now for the questions...

1. What injectors/mass air should I use???
I have a set of 24 lb and a set of 30 lb for this motor, with a mass air for each set of injectors... the 24 lbs have a 75mm Mass Air. The 30 lbs have a 77 Mass Air (which when you look at it is WAY bigger than the other one.
I would rather use the smaller mass air and injectors, so I can use them with my new Polished Chrome Cold air intake... but if they won't be ebough for the setup, then I can go with the 30s.... any ideas???

2. What spark Plugs should I use. I took the stock ones off my E7 heads, and yes they will physically thread into the Twisted Wedge heads no problem, but it seems to me that a) they should thread down alot further than they go, and b) looks like there needs to be a different kind of plug to get a better seal. Any body with these heads have suggestions... I want something that will fit, and will also be the best plug for this n/a setup.

3. What timing should I run this motor at for most reliability?? Yes I want it to make some power, but I want it to be a very safe tune. I plan to run 91 octane in this motor. Also on the timing, how do I go about setting the timing before I ever start the motor... I would be upset to see me blow this motor becasue it's timed all wrong before it is started that first time.

4. If I were to put a fuel pressure gauge right on the rail, what kind should I use??? If I install one, is it safe for it to always be on there while I drive the car, or should I only be using it for tuning purposes??? How much do these typically cost, and is it something I can get at the local parts store???

5. In the car now is a set of solid steel motor ounts that are great for racing, not great for daily driving... They are coming off the car. I have a set of convertible motor mounts that are like new sitting in my garage. If I use these, would they be stronger than the stock non-convertible mounts??? Do they change the position of the motor at all vs. the non-vert mounts??? I think at some point I heard these lowered the motor like 3/4" but not positive.

5. What should I set the fuel pressure at for this setup??? I was guessing like 39 or 40 lbs, but not sure. Also, this may depend on which injectors and mass air I decide to use???

6. How do I go about priming my oil system to ensure a good initial startup???

Wow, now that I feel like noob again... any help on these questions??? I realy appreciate any feedback you guys can give me. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:40 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Motor going in... have several break-in questions...

HELP ME HELP ME!!!! ttt
Old 09-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Motor going in... have several break-in questions...

When I got my motor, I asked them about break-in time, they said that there isn't any break-in time for these since they're a roller cam motor, I didn't run the snot outta mine or anything but after 500 miles I had the oil changed and made a lil checkup on it.

As for injectors, use whichever you want since you have both, if you don't like or think its hurting performance, swap for the others.

For spark plugs use whatever is recommended for TFS heads, you are right, the plugs are longer because of how the chamber is twisted etc. These are the ones they list. AC FR3LS, Autolite 3924, Champion RC9YC, NGK-FR5

As for timing, I left mine at the regular 14 advanced, I just recently bought a C&L mass air meter though and the instructions say that I will find the best results if I have it 17-18 degrees advanced. I would start at 14 probably and move on from there.

I have the BBK fuel pressure gauge right on my BBK pressure regulator, just threads in, and have had it there for almost 2 years now.

Have you actually driven a car with solid mounts? I haven't but I always thought it would be cool to drive around everywhere with your car shakin like a mother because of the cam. That's just me though comfort isn't really an issue. I Have energy suspension motor mounts, I like em alot and would definitely recommend them.

I had my fuel pressure set at around 42 with my 24's. The C&L instructions also say for those with 24lb injectors you should have it set to 36-38 static fuel pressure. (with the vaccum hose off) Which I am going to do as soon as I put this meter on. Nothing terribly bad is going to happen from too much pressure. If you are dropping holes, however, lower it because too much fuel might be putting out the spark. I had this problem.

Get the attachment for your drill pop it in the distributor hole and prime away, its cool to do it with the valve covers off cause you get to see all of the oil pour around your rockers and stuff.