5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New car to maintain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default New car to maintain.

As you all know I just bought my first mustang. 91 LX dark green (bite me roundman ).

The car has over 135k miles and all i want to do is pep it up. I dont want to mod it just yet, can someone please tell me what i can do with garage tools and lots of time to tweak the engine. All i need is advice on how to clean injectors, how to identify parts of the engine (not the obvious ones) how to set timing, how to remove the smog pump (and what is that thing for anyway), what to do and what not to do when maintaining etc..

So far i changed the powersteering fluid and will be changing oil soon. Is there anything else i can do to this tired engine to bring its pep back up? Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks people.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New car to maintain.

Also,

Is there anything really important I need to know before I start f-cking around with mods? I want the engine to be as healthy as possible. TIA.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 AM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

do a full tune-up. ie plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, radiator flush, new air filter (might as well go with k&n), new fuel filter, check ur brake pads, and get some lucas fuel injector/system cleaner. that should give it some more pep.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Can I do this by myself? All of what you mentioned? I don't want anyone touching my baby.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Duffs302
2nd Gear Member

I have started to use Shell's new V-Power prem. fuel for the past month. That peped the eng.(w/ 153K miles) up some. Restore didn't work.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:27 AM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

you can easily do that urself. if you need help, give me a pm
Old 07-29-2004, 02:23 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

BITE![sm=lol.gif]
Don't remove the smog pump if you have to pass any emissions testing or you will flunk the visual part of the test. In addition to changing the engine oil, you probably should also change the tranny oil and the rear end gear oil and examine both used oils for signs of metal debris or other contaminants. while you've got the cover off the rear, you can inspect the ring and pinion gear and also count the teeth of each so you can determine the gear ratio. when you put new oil in the rear, you need to get a 4 oz bottle of Ford fricition modifer for the Traction Lok differential clutches and add this with the new oil. you might also want to inspect all the front and rear suspension parts for worn bushings, loose nuts and bolts, etc and see if anything looks bent. check to make sure the struts and shocks are not leaking too while you're under there.
BTW you will need to invest in some metric wrenches and sockets as there are a lot of metric fasteners used on the Stang too. get good ones like Craftsman who give a lifetime warranty.
And I will stop ragging you about the color of your Stang! Different strokes for different folks I guess!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Hahaha, thanks for the info. I'm gonna go to the autoparts store and get some components.

P.S My engine misfires when I rev it up slightly. I don't know what is the cause and I dont know how to check timing lol. I suspect its the distributor rotor or cap. Any other possibilities? My dad is going ape sh-t, he thinks the computer is all messed up. Could it be that?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:43 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Try installing the new distributor cap and rotor first and see if the miss goes away. New plugs may also get rid of it too. and lastly new wires if the other stuff doesn't cure the problem. I don't think it is a bad computer, probably an ignition or fuel problem. Fix the ignition system first and then see from there. also get a small tube of dielectric grease at the parts store and put a small dab inside the spark plug wire boots when you install the new plugs. this helps keep moisture out which can cause misfires. some on the distributor ends of the wires wouldn't hurt either. don't jerk the plug wires when you take them off, twist them to get them loose from the plugs first then pull slowly to remove them so you don't break the internal conductors inside the wires. a broken wire won't necessarily show up from the outside and this could definitely be a source for misfiring. you will need a timing light to set the timing properly.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Thanks ROUNDMAN! I will investigate my spark plugs tonite!!! BTW I NAMED MY CAR SHEILA.

Quick Reply: New car to maintain.