5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OK, need your expertise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 AM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Default OK, need your expertise

OK, my car originally came with an AOD and I had it changed over to a 5 speed years ago, now since the swap I've never had to push the clutch in to start the car, I could just put it in neutral and turn the key. The car itself ran just fine, I did a bunch of mods and the car had an ilde problem, when I'd come to a stop the idle would swing wildly before settling in but if I had to stop hard the car would die. Now every possible obvious thing has been checked from timing to TPS to IAC and was finally pointed to the VSS and Neutral safety switch. This made total sense when described to me. So when the swap was done was something not connected???? I've stuck my head under the clutch pedal and I can see a connector going to the switch that's attached to it? I've looked under the car at the tranny on the drivers side and the little plug is attached as well as the VSS which both go up somewhere into the floorboards. Does anyone know what may not be connected and where?? Thanks guys
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OK, need your expertise

C'mon, somebody out there must have at least done an AOD to 5 speed conversion, I'm sure you can tell me why I can still start my car without pushing in the clutch when it appears the safety switch is there and connected?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

the neutral safety switch actually has nothing to do w/ starting your car w/ the clutch in. it disengages the cruise control when you pop the clutch. i thought i remember there being something you needed to disconnect with the wiring inside the car, but im not positive
Old 10-28-2006, 02:06 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

OK, as somewhat of a follow-up, I've been doing some research and I did find that on the factory T-5 cars there are 3 sets of connectors coming out under the car going to the T-5 and mine from the AOD only has 2 connectors. From my reading it seems one connector goes to the VSS, one goes to the back-up lights, and one goes to a neutral switch which I don't seem to have. So back to original question, why can I still start my car without having the clutch pedal pusehd in and why is my idle F*cked up? Grrrr this has been an issue for a couple YEARS now and is driving me up a wall!
Old 10-28-2006, 03:56 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/maintain.php

i understand you've tackled the idle but this article is a step by step on how to fix a rough idle, in order....also have you done a full tune up recently? as for the safety switch i've heard the same info you have but have no further suggestions, sorry i couldn't help more[&:]

Good luck
Old 10-28-2006, 04:06 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

the neutral safety switch actually has nothing to do w/ starting your car w/ the clutch in. it disengages the cruise control when you pop the clutch. i thought i remember there being something you needed to disconnect with the wiring inside the car, but im not positive
That is EXACTLY the purpose of the neutral safety switch!!
Old 10-28-2006, 04:46 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

That is EXACTLY the purpose of the neutral safety switch!!
lol, that was pretty funny +1 neutral safety switch disconnected