5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Polish and port stock intake and selling??? Worth it

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Polish and port stock intake and selling??? Worth it

porting the intake will be a big waste of time.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

i agree
Old 10-26-2006, 04:57 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

no, and why polish it when you can have it powder coated to a near chrome finish and never have to repolish it
Old 10-26-2006, 05:18 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

you mean polish like making it shiny right? If you find a tech article, let me know because I am doing it to my stock intake too... just for experience and if it comes out decent I will sell it for a few bones.

ive taken intakes and made them look like chrome before first i start with 200 grit sand paper and work my way to 1600 grit in increments of 200 then when i get to 600 i start wetsanding. then when done with 1600 grit i get out the buffing compounds and buff the crap out of it then go to polishing compound. follow those steps(be ready takes a long time and patience) and you will have a chrome like finish. people that have seen the intake me and my friend did wonder if we had it chrome plated. looks great.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ok, lets rethink this over, why would you waste hours of time opening up the ports and polishing it for no benifit except the loss of your time, you said it is not going back on the car, do you really think someone will pay more than 20-30 dollars for a stock intake? not likely, so the time you would invest in this would be for no gain.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Champ561
3rd Gear Member

Mustangfxbdy do you have any pics. I have a stock intake sitting around I might try it out.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:29 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

ok, lets rethink this over, why would you waste hours of time opening up the ports and polishing it for no benifit except the loss of your time, you said it is not going back on the car, do you really think someone will pay more than 20-30 dollars for a stock intake? not likely, so the time you would invest in this would be for no gain.

For experience...... I am going to polish *literally* and port my stocker just to see how it comes out. I might try to sell it when Im done messing with it but Im just doing it for personal experience. And to me, its worth it.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Champ561

Mustangfxbdy do you have any pics. I have a stock intake sitting around I might try it out.

ill have to get to my friends supra its the one that i have access to that i have done it on and get a pic ill try to get one sometimes this weekend and email it to ya.

but if you want to see what it looks like in the mean time take your intake and pick a small section and do what i posted if you just do a small test area it wont take that long. sometimes i start out on 80(makes is easier to get alot of the roughness out if there is any)
but make sure you stay on 80-200 until alot of the real roughness is gone then go from there as described before. YOU will be amazed first time i did it I couldnt believe it.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

You'd be amazed at what people buy on Ebay. I was talking about porting the intake and then polishing the entire thing to make it shiny. Polishing sounds like a pain in the *** though, maybe I'll throw it in the media blasting cabinet to clean it up and paint it. It's not making me any money just sitting in the shop.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Champ561
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangfxbdy

ORIGINAL: Champ561

ill have to get to my friends supra its the one that i have access to that i have done it on and get a pic ill try to get one sometimes this weekend and email it to ya.

but if you want to see what it looks like in the mean time take your intake and pick a small section and do what i posted if you just do a small test area it wont take that long. sometimes i start out on 80(makes is easier to get alot of the roughness out if there is any)
but make sure you stay on 80-200 until alot of the real roughness is gone then go from there as described before. YOU will be amazed first time i did it I couldnt believe it.
Cool, thanks.

Quick Reply: Polish and port stock intake and selling??? Worth it