5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Door speakers

i kno this thread is old as hell but how would wireing the speakers in parallel burn the deck up? it would just give equal power to the speakers right? well thats what it does with lights n e ways... and why would series be any better?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:33 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I spliced my door speakers with the dash speakers, they don't draw much power anyway. I have an after market stereo which puts more power out
Old 06-13-2007, 05:02 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I just did this the other day. I Just wired the dash speakers and the door speakers together in parallel. PS how did all you guys do your do your door speakers? I had a hell of a time running the wires through the door to the dash. I couldnt get the wire inside the rubber thing between the door and the car so i just put it outside of it.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Ive still gotta wire up the door speakers. Its not a top priority right now because the car has been in the bodyshop forever now.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

what you want to do which i did on mine, run an external amp to the rear speakers considering they're usually bigger and are used more consistantly. and run your rear wires to the door speakers and the fronts to the dash speakers......or ignore the dash speakers all together since most car dont have them anyways. i think door and rears sounds just fine
Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs

i kno this thread is old as hell but how would wireing the speakers in parallel burn the deck up? it would just give equal power to the speakers right? well thats what it does with lights n e ways... and why would series be any better?
Wiring the speakers in parallel drops the impedance. So if the deck is spec'd to put out 50x4 @ 4 Ohms, that means the deck is made to produce 50 watts of power (peak) to 4 channels at an impedance (resistance) of 4 Ohms. If you wire 2 speakers (assuming each speaker has an impedance of 4 Ohms) together in parallel, your total impedance that the deck will see on that channel would be 2 Ohms, and can cause the amplifier in the deck to burn up. If you wire the speakers in series, your total impedance becomes 8 Ohms (assuming again both speakers are 4 Ohms) which is above the minimum impedance the deck can handle of 4 Ohms.

I pulled this off a website for you and it might help:

" The lower the impedance of the load, the greater the current flow will be. Too little resistance, however, will result in too much current passing through the output circuitry and which may cause damage to the amplifier. This being the case, it is always important that you do not use your amp with the impedance of the load less than that of which your amplifier has been designed for.
Running a load of greater impedance will not cause any damage to your amp, however you wll experience some loss of power and therefore perhaps a slight drop in volume.
Another thing that needs consideration is the fact that some amplifiers have more leniency towards impedance mismatching than others. So it’ll always be a good idea to read your manual or ask a tech to confirm what your amplifier can or cannot do."

The link to that site is http://www.sputnikmusic.com/lesson.php?lessonid=97

Old 06-13-2007, 04:00 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well mine have been wired like this for over a year and i havent seen any problems..
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs

well mine have been wired like this for over a year and i havent seen any problems..
Glad to hear it. You might want to reconsider wiring it correctly otherwise you are just limiting the life of your head unit.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you will be fine pushing the door and dash speakers. The impedence is lower then recommended but I have never seen a problem come back with the many I installed. Check us out on the audio forum.

There is a really simple way to wire around the premium sound amp if you know how. There is a hrns in the dash by the glove box. It is the output from the amp and happens to be a standard ford radio hrns(70-1770). Disconnect it and pull it up to the dash and use it as your speaker wires and you will bypass the amp...... It could not be any easier but for some reason not many people know about it. Look at page 2 of my cardomain page in my sig and my 94 has a similar hrns that I point to.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

i dont even have the amp anymore i dont think.. the wires just go straight to the speakers