5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:46 AM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Default Overheating problem

Wussup guys.

My car overheated the other day, just kind of out of the blue? I was coming back from the store and the temp gauge just shot up. I got it back home and let it sit for a couple of hours to cool then drove it to the shop (bout 1 1/2 mile). About the time I pulled in the drive the needle started moving again. I shut it down long enough to open up the shop, then started it up and pulled it in but the temp had went down to about halfway. So I left it running in the shop just idling for a while and it stay where it was at, halfway. It didn't seem like any water was moving through the Top Hose so I was guessing I should replace the Thermo first. I let the car cool overnight and went back the next day and removed the Thermo and ran it without. It sat in the shop running for at least 30 minutes without even making it to halfway of the gauge or any signs of running hot. So I figure I would just replace the Thermostat and thats it, well I did that tonight. Replaced it, started the car and let it run for 10 minutes maybe, and everything looked good, was staying around operating temp. So I took it for a test drive. About 2 miles up the road the gauge started back around to hot? WTF? I took it back to the shop (wasn't smoking or anything), and the same thing happened as before, it went down to about halfway and stayed. I shut it down after a few minutes, then checked the oil to make sure there was no coolant in there and there wasn't.
I made a call and got a hold to a coolant pressure tester, got that and hooked it up. We found a leak in the Thermo gasket so but that was it so far. Parts house is closed, so that will have to wait till morning. We decided to test the cap just to see. 16lb cap. Wouldn't even pump up? You pump it, it would shoot up to about 6lbs and drop right back down before you could pump again. Would that have anything do with the overheating? If anyone has any ideas, please share? Thanks for any help.

Later.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:48 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Overheating problem

Were the u&l hoses both hot. You may have a flow problem in the radiator.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

after a while of running the upper would get hot, didn't check the lower?
Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: blazinyellowbeast

after a while of running the upper would get hot, didn't check the lower?
That will tell you somethin about the flow thru the radiator. Should be pretty close to the same temp.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:54 AM
93must
3rd Gear Member

Water pump? Any coolant seeping out the weap hole? Fan clutch? Dont know if either really just stop working? You said it was all of a sudden. Just a guess.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:58 AM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

weap hole?
It has an electric fan. Its coming on. A friend told me to spin it by hand to see how easy it spins?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:02 AM
93must
3rd Gear Member

There is a weap hole in the bottom of the water pump. It starts leaking when the pum starts to go bad. But not all the time! its about an 1/8 of an inch maybe a little bigger. Doesnt just dump water out so sometimes its hard to see it leaking. Maybe look from under the car?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:14 AM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Aight, thanks guys. Will def look into both of those in the morning.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazinyellowbeast

Wussup guys.

My car overheated the other day, just kind of out of the blue? I was coming back from the store and the temp gauge just shot up. I got it back home and let it sit for a couple of hours to cool then drove it to the shop (bout 1 1/2 mile). About the time I pulled in the drive the needle started moving again. I shut it down long enough to open up the shop, then started it up and pulled it in but the temp had went down to about halfway. So I left it running in the shop just idling for a while and it stay where it was at, halfway. It didn't seem like any water was moving through the Top Hose so I was guessing I should replace the Thermo first. I let the car cool overnight and went back the next day and removed the Thermo and ran it without. It sat in the shop running for at least 30 minutes without even making it to halfway of the gauge or any signs of running hot. So I figure I would just replace the Thermostat and thats it, well I did that tonight. Replaced it, started the car and let it run for 10 minutes maybe, and everything looked good, was staying around operating temp. So I took it for a test drive. About 2 miles up the road the gauge started back around to hot? WTF? I took it back to the shop (wasn't smoking or anything), and the same thing happened as before, it went down to about halfway and stayed. I shut it down after a few minutes, then checked the oil to make sure there was no coolant in there and there wasn't.
I made a call and got a hold to a coolant pressure tester, got that and hooked it up. We found a leak in the Thermo gasket so but that was it so far. Parts house is closed, so that will have to wait till morning. We decided to test the cap just to see. 16lb cap. Wouldn't even pump up? You pump it, it would shoot up to about 6lbs and drop right back down before you could pump again. Would that have anything do with the overheating? If anyone has any ideas, please share? Thanks for any help.

Later.
I've been sitting here scratching my head over this for 5 mins now. The only things I can think of are: Are you going by the stock gauge? Maybe the gauge itself is acting up. Also, do a google search to read about whether or not your radiator cap should hold pressure with that kind of a test. That may be your problem; although I don't know much about radiator caps.