5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What primer???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:50 AM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What primer???

Yes Bondo does recommend 1/8" or less but if you can get less it will be that much better. I always shoot for 1/16 or less for 2 reasons

1) The bondo holds better and is less prone to cracking or separating from the body panel.
2) It is easier to get your body lines right.

How large is the area you are fixing. Is it a whole quarter panel or just the roll out on the wheel well.

If it is a small area you may want to try this.
Get it where you want it with the bondo.
Prime it (Bomb Can Style)
Get a can of touch up paint made (Your local auto paint store should be able to mix one up for you)
Paint it.
See how it looks.

At this point you have basically proven your bondo work is good and seen if you can get a good blend on the paint.
If it all looks good you can leave it that way but expect the paint to be less durable than paint you mix for your gun.
The spray can they mix up does not contain a catalyst (Hardening agent) so the paint does not cure as fast or as well.

This will probably cost you a few extra dollars but it is like an insurance policy on you work. The touch up paint and
primer is fairly easy to remove when you go to upgrade it and you know what you have when you shoot the good stuff.

This is how I did it on my first few dent repairs. The gloss showed me where I was at. My first one was horrible. I thought
it was great until I sprayed the paint on it. And it looked really like bad.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:08 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What primer???

Its mainly the quarter flare so I will have to do some shaping. It also has a slight bow at the top of the flare under the driver rear window. Ill try what you suggested. I think I can do a good job. I have done the body work on my 66 mustangs and it has come out looking great. One is getting painted tomorrow so while that is in the paint shop i want to start on the 87.
thanks for the info