5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

questions on 4 to 8cyl

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:42 PM
capt.redbeard

Default questions on 4 to 8cyl

Hello everyone I'm new to mustangs but not to fords by any means. I've purchased an 81 mustang hatchback with t-tops and a non-functional hood scoop for the sum of $200. It was stolen and recovered 11 years ago with a blown 2.3l 4cyl and a punched ignition. Otherwise car is in good shape, the blown 2.3l non turbo was gone when I bought it. I would like to turn this in to a summer driver. My first question is about the tranny it appears to be a 5spd not positive. Is the bellhousing interchangeable with a small block housing? If so what kind of car can I find the small block bellhousing in? (mustangs are quite rare to see in junkyards around here) My 2nd question is the factory tach is for a 4 can this be modified somehow to work with an 8?
Thanks for any and all help if the clutch wont work out I'll have some questions about converting to an AOD I've got five of them but clutches are more fun to drive.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 PM
83FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: questions on 4 to 8cyl

The bellhousing can be found on some T-birds, and also many non fords. Maybe someone else can chime in on what types of vehicles carried the T-5.

Also, I just took some T-top glass off a mustang at a nearby junkyard because I knew someone would need it. Do you need new glass?

Oh, what RPM does the tach go to? I have a 4 cylinder and an 8, but the tach is the same in both. Redline at 5-6.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 PM
81ponycar
2nd Gear Member

i started with the same car last year and ended up the swap last month. The trans should be a four speed if the car is an 81. The 5.0 will sit right in there if you spread the trans crossmember mount farther apart. Right now it is about 2.75 in apart and it needs to be 4.75 in apart. If you dont spread them apart the trans cross member will not bolt up to the transmission. You will also need a bigger rear end if the car is an 81.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:13 PM
warthrone
1st Gear Member

Borg-warner made the world class t-5 for a BUNCH of vehicles in the 80's. You should just get an autometer tach, as you want accurate readings on the vitals like tach, oil, temp.. etc. I replaced all that on mine you dont want your readings to be wrong!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:39 PM
capt.redbeard

My tach goes to 6000 no redline just white and green numbers. I thought that 4 or 8 would make a diffrence. On the aftermarket tachs that I've got they have switches for 4/6/8 or cut out a resistor on the old style tachs. Do you know what color wire the stock tach runs off from? The last owner took the coil along with the 2.3l and cliped a half dozen wires from near the coil, 2 green one white and othe colors I can't remember now that I got back inside.
I'm glad you said it is a T-5 but I was confused because aftermarket shifters say for 83' to 01' t-5's or t-45's and mines an 81'. Will the shift fork cable be the same?
Also does the throttle cable for the 2.3l have the same ammount of travel as a 5.0?
As for the t-top glass I don't need them but thanks for the offer.
Lastly the rebuilt 302 I have for the mustang came out of a 73' f-150 with a 4 speed. I still have the flywheel from that if it would work, or would I be better off with the one from the donor car?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:55 PM
warthrone
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capt.redbeard

My tach goes to 6000 no redline just white and green numbers. I thought that 4 or 8 would make a diffrence. On the aftermarket tachs that I've got they have switches for 4/6/8 or cut out a resistor on the old style tachs. Do you know what color wire the stock tach runs off from? The last owner took the coil along with the 2.3l and cliped a half dozen wires from near the coil, 2 green one white and othe colors I can't remember now that I got back inside.
I'm glad you said it is a T-5 but I was confused because aftermarket shifters say for 83' to 01' t-5's or t-45's and mines an 81'. Will the shift fork cable be the same?
Also does the throttle cable for the 2.3l have the same ammount of travel as a 5.0?
As for the t-top glass I don't need them but thanks for the offer.
Lastly the rebuilt 302 I have for the mustang came out of a 73' f-150 with a 4 speed. I still have the flywheel from that if it would work, or would I be better off with the one from the donor car?
I would get a Haynes manual to get 100% correct wiring info. I just think something from an 81 might not be as accurate as a new tach. Not too sure about the T-5 from an 81. You might just want to go with a c-4. that will fit in the car and yes the 2.3 throttle will work.
If you change flywheels, be sure of the weight. If you put the wrong flywheel that is off balance on your motor it will vibrate and eventually burn your bearings out or worse in a short period of time. be VERY careful about flywheels. If you dont know what it is, theres a number ground on your crank, you can call ford and they should be able to tell you what is right for your motor. Good luck