5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Quick question

Well then Mr. IThinkIKnowEveruything...

ever since I put on my underdrive pullies, my voltage needle drops when my car is at idle. the problem is that the alternator does not make enough RPM and the voltage regulator shuts off. The only way to avoid this is to NOT install the underdrive pulley for the alternator. When was the last time you sat the two pullies next to each other... did you happen to notice that the alt pulley in the UD kit is actually LARGER in size.. thereby decreasing the number of revolutions it will make.

It all has to do with ratios.... dont make me bust out the micrometer and shove some math in your face.... because I WILL make you look stupid!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Well.. Mr. designer of underdrive pullies. What do you you think happens to the "stock" alt pully when you add a smaller crank pulley??? so therefor why do you think they make the alt pully larger.. hmm... gee...

you should call Ford Racing, Mac, Steeda and BBK and tell them they areall idiots for designing a bad product!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

I have mine alt pully on and it does drop the volt's only when at a light or not revving but it's not at a point where my car shut off or affects the lighting all crazy. I always had it on since my pully swap I haven't heard any thing positive or negative about having or not haiving alt pully on.
You should try it on and if it feels like it affects it try the stock one don't likethe stock one keep the aftermarket one.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: PX429

Well.. Mr. designer of underdrive pullies. What do you you think happens to the "stock" alt pully when you add a smaller crank pulley??? so therefor why do you think they make the alt pully larger.. hmm... gee...

you should call Ford Racing, Mac, Steeda and BBK and tell them they areall idiots for designing a bad product!
apartently you like making yourself look stupid....

imagine the crank to alt ratio is 6:1 stock. when you add a smaller crank pulley, you bring it to maybe 5:1 because the new smaller crank pulley must make more revolutions to cover the same amount of belt, you effectivly slow down the accesories.

by adding a LARGER alternator pulley, you would then change the ratio to 5:1.5 which is 3.3:1 which means the alt pulley is moving even SLOWER

so thank you for making my point, now stfu and never doubt me again!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 PM
africkanV6
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: PX429

you should call Ford Racing, Mac, Steeda and BBK and tell them they are all idiots for designing a bad product!
apartently you like making yourself look stupid....

imagine the crank to alt ratio is 6:1 stock. when you add a smaller crank pulley, you bring it to maybe 5:1 because the new smaller crank pulley must make more revolutions to cover the same amount of belt, you effectivly slow down the accesories.

by adding a LARGER alternator pulley, you would then change the ratio to 5:1.5 which is 3.3:1 which means the alt pulley is moving even SLOWER

so thank you for making my point, now stfu and never doubt me again!
cant we all just be friends? lol ur mean. but there is a such thing as an alt overdrive pully to make up for the lost charge
Old 12-19-2006, 11:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: africkanV6
cant we all just be friends? lol ur mean. but there is a such thing as an alt overdrive pully to make up for the lost charge
sure there is... but unlike what PX429 is saying... an OVERDRIVE pulley is infact SMALLER, so it will spin faster. And that is why the stock pulley is better than the UD pulley... the stock one is smaller and will allow the alt to turn at a higher RPM, thus cancelling the power loss that usually accompanies U/D pullies
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: africkanV6
sure there is... but unlike what PX429 is saying... an OVERDRIVE pulley is infact SMALLER, so it will spin faster. And that is why the stock pulley is better than the UD pulley... the stock one is smaller and will allow the alt to turn at a higher RPM, thus cancelling the power loss that usually accompanies U/D pullies
Obviously!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

In reply to everyone:

I can't under stand why you guys want to make your water pumps turn slower. Sure... they're easier to turn with a bigger pulley, but you're not keeping your engine cool.