5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car Starts But Backfires Through The Carb.. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car Starts But Backfires Through The Carb.. Why?

ORIGINAL: hot85fifty

do i have to have the car on or off when i do the floats? and for the secondary dont you have to open them so it used fuel faster from them?
Yeah you have the motor running when you're adjusting the floats.

It's the same adjustment for the secondary float. You just want the float leval there so that the fuel is available for WOT. As far as increasing the flow at WOT, you do that by changing the jets. But right now, were just trying to get your primarys dialed in.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 AM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

depends on the combustion chamber design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:00 AM
hot85fifty
2nd Gear Member

i know where the float adjustment stuff and the air fuel mixture needles are. so continue. im goin to sleep for the night but i will be checking this in the morning so any info will help alot.. thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:11 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

MIXTURE ADJUSTMENTS

Do you see the idle mixture screws on each side of the metering block?

You start with one of them first. This is easier if you have a tach hooked up, but you can listen for the changes in RPM too.

You back the screw out to richen, and you turn it in to lean. (Left = Rich) (Right = Lean)

You back out the screw until you see a drop in RPM. That's max rich.

Now you bring the screw in, watching for the RPM's to go up. When the RPM's start to drop off AGAIN, that's max lean.

Now, the correct mixture is where the RPM's are the HIGHEST between max rich and max lean.

Now you do the same for the other mixture screw on the other side of the metering block.

After you get both mixture screws set, then you reset your idle speed and timing. The timing has to be at a certain idle speed; because as your speed goes up, the timing advances up too. For example: if you want 18* @ 1100 RPM, you would go back and forth between the distributor and the idle screw on the carb until you have 18* @ 1100 RPM. At that point is what is termed as having the idle speed and timing "married."
Old 12-22-2006, 07:46 PM
hot85fifty
2nd Gear Member

i got the car to run decent but when it gets warmed up the rpm's raise and lower between 800 and 2000 and then the cars dies and backfires through the carb. it works good untill it gets warm. whats wrong with it now?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM
hot85fifty
2nd Gear Member

I found out what the problem was. It was my fuel pump. I hooked up apressure guage to it and it was only puttin out right under 5 psi at idle. I got a new one. I put it on and it puts out8 psi at idle. from there i set the timing then i did the float adjustments, then the mixture screws, then the timing again. my car will not run with the timing close to what it used to be. (10-15)
I have it set to 28* and it runs good and hard all the way through the rpm range. It idles nice, has good throttle responce, doesn't over heat or anything. i tryed to bring the timing down. starts backfiring, running like ****, took it for a drive and the car barely wanted to go anywhere. So i think the timing for 331's should be in the 20's unlike what some people have been saying. thats just my opinion though.

My neighbor has an old corvette. he had his timing and everything set to 8*. then he changed his motor and he said it had to be set at 22* to get his car to run good.

So 28* works for my car,... maybe it depends on the cam, intake, heads and whatever else you got.

Thanks forall ofyour help.

If there is anything that you have to say aboutwhat i said above please do so. arguements are welcome too.