5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New to the forum & got a big problem, gear heads check it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 PM
SeanDestroys

Default New to the forum & got a big problem, gear heads check it.

Whats going on everybody? First post but its a bigun. Ok, so last week my friend picked up a 90GT w/ the302 HO. When we initally got it she wasnt cranking at all, after process of elimination we finally traced it back to the mainhot goinginto the ecu was actually cut (the rest of the harness was intact andeverything was pinned off) strange, but nevertheless, rewired it. Turned right over. (after replacing the fuel pump, filter, distributor cap, plugs, wires, MAF sensoretc) We took her out on the road 2 days ago...prob about a good 5 mile run, just putting her through her paces..not hitting any real high rpms. Heard something a brewin in the engine bay at a light, looked at the dash...battery light was on, volts were dropping, seconds later saw steam coming up from under the hood.1 +1 =serpentine belt. So, pulled over, poped the hood, sure enough. buh bye! SOO, after 4 days of working on this thing I wasgetting a lil frustrated at this point, But still determined. Okay, so went over all thepullys, tensioner bearing was drier than a 86yr old ladys vag...locked up every half a revolution, Ok, again, simple fix. Swaped out + new belt.Next Day, round 2. she starts.. idlin@ 13 just like i want her to. took her out, half a mile down the street(heres where it gets tricky) in idle shes fine, normal driving in first gear for about 20 seconds, then she she gets really boggy, open up the throttle and there is just no power, it seems like the engine is getting flodded...pop her back into neutral and she wont even go back to 1300rpm, she will just sit and fluctuate between 600-1000, if she drops below 6 stall is pretty much right after that. 87 Octane, timing @ 14degrees. One more thing, when we start her and keep her in place/neutral with WOT she will NOT go past 4k. just wont. Replaced TPS sensor, that wasnt it. Im thinking Alternator isint putting out enough power, maybe about to go? but we checked shes still operating at least.

If we dont track down and resolve the prob soon my friend is going to cut his losses and sell it. but I've been a ford man my whole life and just dont wanna see it happen.

PLEASE! any help or insight would be appreciated
Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New to the forum & got a big problem, gear heads check it.

pull the codes next. see what the computer tells you.