5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

quick belt question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
paulstang
3rd Gear Member

Default quick belt question

I know this has been asked a thousand times but i am in a big hurry and dont have time to look up the awnser so here it iswhat is thebelt size for 85 mustang without AC and SMOG. It had no power steering when i got it so i am putting one on and need to know the belt size so i can pick it up on my way home.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 01:03 PM
ncascademtns
1st Gear Member

Default RE: quick belt question

If the PS pump is going in the stockposition as my 1987 with no A/C,
than use this.

Dayco #5060730, length should be 77 inches.

I received this info from a guy on ebay. I saw his car pictures and noticed the belt. That was the info he gave me when I asked.
I have yet to install the belt myself so this is just going on faith.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I run a 69.5" belt. I removed the a/c and used the non a/c bracket. No smog, but my crank pulley is underdrive. So if youve got the a/c style ps bracket and the stock pulley, you need to get a piece of string and route it the same way the belt would go. Tie it off and go to the parts store, theyll measure it for you and get you something close. Id get 2 belt the size they say and another thats about an inch shorter.
-P.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:34 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

I was actually about to ask this too... I want to just get rid of my AC/smog pullies (just have delete pullies right now), and wanted a belt size. I think I'm correct that since I'm using all 3 underdrive pullies the overall belt size won't change, but basically I can just measure what size I need and buy that sized belt at a store, correct?

Attempting not to threadjack, I think it's the same question
Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
pizzarolls
2nd Gear Member

[quote]I was actually about to ask this too... I want to just get rid of my AC/smog pullies (just have delete pullies right now), and wanted a belt size. I think I'm correct that since I'm using all 3 underdrive pullies the overall belt size won't change, but basically I can just measure what size I need and buy that sized belt at a store, correct?

Attempting not to threadjack, I think it's the same question [quote]
if u dont want the strain of a/c or smog pump just reroute the belt nd leave the pulleys on.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: pizzarolls

[quote]I was actually about to ask this too... I want to just get rid of my AC/smog pullies (just have delete pullies right now), and wanted a belt size. I think I'm correct that since I'm using all 3 underdrive pullies the overall belt size won't change, but basically I can just measure what size I need and buy that sized belt at a store, correct?

Attempting not to threadjack, I think it's the same question
if u dont want the strain of a/c or smog pump just reroute the belt nd leave the pulleys on.
Right, but then you would need a different size belt...