5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stock T5 - how much can it handle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Scribs99

Default Stock T5 - how much can it handle?

My dad is in the process of building up an '89 LX that currently has the stock 5 speed. How much power should he expect thestock transmission to take? (He's having a 347 built right now)

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:01 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stock T5 - how much can it handle?

rated at 300-350 ft. lbs. i have seen some fail with a stock 5.0 and i have seen some hold a 500hp 306... it all depends on how good of a shifter you are... the most important mod when using a t-5 is the driver mod
Old 01-18-2007, 03:48 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Yeah^ Agreed. The absolute most I have ever seen one withstand is 500hp. I would say the 450hp estimate they tell yo about is pretty accurate. Basically you miss a shift here, shift there it adds up fast an the problems start. Upgrading your drivetrain is certainly a wise move if you have the money, if you don't, don't push your engine too hard until you can. It can take a lot of abuse at the 300-400hp range. Have fun there until you can make a move.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

^+1 on the upgrading if the money permits, at about 400-450 hp itdepends souly on how well the driver shifts... my tranny teacher is a great driver and has to mavericks (heavy cars) one runs 10's (boosted) the other 11's (nitrous)both with stock t-5's hasn't had a problem with the boosted car but the nitrous car needs a rebuild once a year (nitrous is more violent)....

how u make the power will also play a part in how long the tranny last
Old 01-18-2007, 05:52 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

basically what everyone on here said was true a pro50sc has 363 wheel hp and 401 wheel torque and he has the stock t5 and stock clutch, and hes had for over a year like that, so if u drive well and are nice to it the thing will last
Old 01-18-2007, 06:05 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Ive killed a total of 18 t-5's in 2 mustangs. Neither of which was over 400horse. But then again I do the occaisional high speed run. The heat produced REALLY kills em fat. But if youre mainly gonna drag race em they shold hold up just fine. Ive found the most important part is a GOOD short throw shifter with shift stops that are adjusted properly. Over extending throws also puts unneccesary strain on the bearings and synchros. Also, running a GOOD synthetic trans fluid will help keep the heat down.
-P.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:28 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

top speed runs don't hurt the tranny[:@]don't give info on subjects that u don't know about...and u killed 18 t-5's because u either bought used ones from junk yards and didn't get them rebuilt or you just plain out can't drive (and prolly think ur a great driver)
ORIGINAL: P Zero

Ive killed a total of 18 t-5's in 2 mustangs. Neither of which was over 400horse. But then again I do the occaisional high speed run. The heat produced REALLY kills em fat. But if youre mainly gonna drag race em they shold hold up just fine. Ive found the most important part is a GOOD short throw shifter with shift stops that are adjusted properly. Over extending throws also puts unneccesary strain on the bearings and synchros. Also, running a GOOD synthetic trans fluid will help keep the heat down.
-P.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

top speed runs don't hurt the tranny[:@]don't give info on subjects that u don't know about...and u killed 18 t-5's because u either bought used ones from junk yards and didn't get them rebuilt or you just plain out can't drive (and prolly think ur a great driver)

-P.
Now thats funny. Just out of curiosity, whats the FASTEST youve ever gone in your car? When I drove my car as a DD, I'd hit 140 (if not more) on a DAILY basis. I would stay there as long as I could. And yes the HEAT produced at those speeds DESTROY T-5's. T-5's are pieces of ****. Its a 4 banger trans that was stuck behind a V-8. Hell the SROD that was in my '79 was 1000000 times better. And theres no way in hell a STOCK T-5 (that hasnt been modified or "upgraded") will take 400hp consistantly, unless you drive like a b!tch (which is probably you).
And yes some of my trannies were from the scrap yard, because the CASES of the other T-5's were unusable. I put new bearings and synchros in any used trans that I obtained. The ONLY way Ive found to make em last is by using 50% 80w90 (gearlube) and 50% synchromesh. The ONLY reason this works is because of the superior lubrication provided by the gearlube. BTW, its cheaper to get another trans rather than a rebuild kit and an output shaft (which was 90% of my failed T-5's).
So dont tell me I have no idea what Im talkin about boy, you havent a fukin clue as to who I am. What Ive done, and what I can do. And what the *** do you know about T-5's you have a T-45 in your car, which has all of the upgrades.
-P.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:58 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Im going to agree that top speed runs put one hell of a beating on T5s. Sometimes in the summer when i take it up to 130+ i can feel the heat coming through the center console.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

So dont tell me I have no idea what Im talkin about boy, you havent a fukin clue as to who I am. What Ive done, and what I can do. And what the *** do you know about T-5's you have a T-45 in your car, which has all of the upgrades.
-P.
Since when does a 1994 GT have a T-45???

Looks like YOU are the idiot here... Oh and 94GTcoupe BUILDS T-5 trannies... In fact, hes gonna be rebuilding mine!

Quick Reply: Stock T5 - how much can it handle?