5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

diagnose a t5 problem? help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: diagnose a t5 problem? help

yea man its time for a rebuild... ive basically said all there is to say, lol. 94gtcoupe will fill in an holes and will talk to ya abut rebuildin it..
you mentioned the 4th thing. its hands down w. out a doubt a syncro.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:00 AM
91gtworkinit
1st Gear Member

mattdel sorrya bout that lol..i think its 94gt im thinking of lol this is honesley my first hour on the forum but im hooked already...u guys are like idols im serious i see all these nice mustangs and im like how do these guys do it.but im def a mustang fan..i wrote a post in new memberes on my mustang history..i have had a couple..i had a 96 gt 5 speed my first sold it and i miss it...bought a 96 gt balck with tan leaather auto..couldnt take the auto (lol now manual problems figures) bought a 95 gt that was beatiful red 5 speed a girl hit me and totaled it a hour after i sand bared it and waxed it for 6 hours..toaled and i took the money and bought the 91 gt and been getting into shape ever since...new tires trying to get it up to emmisions right now need to put my new h-pipe on with the cats (maine is strict) also need reerse lights see he forgot to hook those up as well ont he tranny casue i replased every fuse and the bulbs no reverse lights he dint hook it up on the tranny. but yea just stuff liek that ordered fog lights and a horn just getting back to shape..i like stockmustangs my self..my fav is a 87 gt black with the red strip down the side it was the first stang i ever rode in and iw as hooked..but as far as just by looks i woudl liike to have a 92 lx calypso green i had a ranger that was a 92 with calypso green still ahve it actually but the color is beatiful right when the sun is going down..but i def have a passion for mustangs..anything mustangs i like i fall asleep thinking about what i want to do to my car..im addicted i just hate it cause i cant fix it or do the work myself i need to get my a$$ in there and do it so i learn just dont want to mess it up but...theres comes a time lol..well thats a lil about me
Old 02-23-2007, 03:03 AM
91gtworkinit
1st Gear Member

i pmed u 94 gt and im def willing to let u do it...not sure on how to get it to u? i mean im honeslly not a shipper i guess..i would have to pay someone to take it out then pay to send it to u or do u have a better plan lol? where do u live? ill drive if its not to far i like rides in the stang lol.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:06 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

Hey 94gt, do you think maybe its bad forks? I would think bad synchros would make a grinding noise when he trys to shift. Maybe not bad forks but if his car is popping out of gear thats a bad detent, synchros dont hold it in gear, detents do. Sounds to me like he has a detent issue. I am not that familiar with the T5's shifting mechanisms and I am not saying you are wrong I am just suggesting other stuff.

Oh crap ahah I just saw where it says its grinding never mind.DUDE YOU NEED A REBUILD!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

lol yea it grinds so it's syncros, and with the symptoms explained it's not forks, and the poping out of gear is because the trany is messed up and the bearings are binding flexing everything and causing it to pop... if i was just a poping out issue then yes it would be a detend, and it takes me a few weeks to get access to the shop so driving the car here and me fixing it wouldn't be a good plan
Old 02-23-2007, 03:50 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I know there have been some good suggestions on this thread and I know 94gt knows a lot about trannys....

That being said, other than 4th gear (bad synchro), it sounds like the clutch just needs to be adjusted. If it has too much slack in the cable, the pressure plate will never fully disengage and you'll have symptoms like what you're describing. If you have the stock setup, you can try pulling up towards you on the clutch pedal w/ your foot. If it's not broken, it will click....up to several times. I would go w/ an adjustable setup b/c the stock plastic quadrant will get brittle w/ age and the teeth will shear off.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i dissagree, i think that the sorce of the problem was/could have been the clutch, but i think right now hes looking at a rebuild. do i think he should adj the clutch? absolutly, and it should/could help some, but i think at this point its not ust the clutch and he has hurt some syncros, time for a rebuild