5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wow, my car runs a helluva lot better now!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:32 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: wow, my car runs a helluva lot better now!

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

thanks big maiden fan here, been listening to em' since i was 6 years old... check it out

lol..dont know if it is youre bro or what in the background.. but he has a heman shirt and you are rocking the maiden shirt.. priceless.lol and same here. i heard the number of the beast album when i was 5 and it was all down hill from there.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:43 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

ok all this talk about cai.. has got me debating what im going too... I have a 75mm pro-m bullet mass air.... right at this moment I have a K&N cone filter attached to the maf so there is no bend right before the maf... and the car runsexcellant. i was about to get a cai because the tubing from the maf to the throttle body is stock and plus the heat in my engine bay is what the filter breathes... notice pic below of my setup...

with seeing that the bend beforethe mafis bad im thinking of keeping the same set up but changing to metal tubing from the maf to the throttle body not sure what brand though(any suggestions to what you guys like best)... and installing a heat shield box for the filter(and installing a shorter k&n filter to fit in the box)that way its the same setup before the mass air as i have now but keeps most of the heat away from the filter as the hood will seal with the seal at the top of the heat shield but front of box is open for the air to come in from the hole in the front and hole from fender..... if someone can find a pic with this setup on a fox 5.0 ive googled it but cant find one... but have seen them in person... just thought the fender mount cai was better.. but guess not now... the box in the pic below is the style box im talking about just using the one meant for our car.

what do you guys think of this maf to throttle body pipe to go with my 75mm pro-m....
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS
Old 03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
fordracing1122
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

ORIGINAL: fordracing1122

So i switched my CAI for my stock box and my idle is WAY FREAKIN better! And it doesnt make eratic pulses at WOT!!!!!!!

Pretty pumped!
Did you just switchit out tonight??? I was way excited the first time I started it up with the stock box again.It idles like it did when it was stock, even with the cam that I'm running it idles VERY nicely, I can't wait to get it on a long stretch of road tomorrow .
Ya i switched it out right after reading all of this! My car definatly idles better and like you said even with my cam it almost sounds like it doesnt lope....
Old 03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

ORIGINAL: vristang

your problem wasn't the CAI, it's your MAF, well actually it's a combo of both... you have to get the MAF that is specifically calibrated for a CAI.
Take a look at the .pdf I posted above.

The poor flow characteristics created from a bend in the tube will make the job difficult for ANY meter.
yeah i read it, doesn't matter, Pro-M makes regular MAFs and CAI specific MAFs. if he had the right MAF, it would've ran perfectly. we installed a C&L on my buddy's notch with a BBK CAI, and it ran crappy. a few weeks later we borrowed a Pro-M specifically made for CAI applications from another one of our friends that didn't have any issues with his, and it ran great, idle stopped surging and it felt alot stronger.
You're kidding, right?
If you had read it AND UNDERSTOOD IT, then you would not have made the above comments....
Youare comparing a C&L to a PMAS... end of story... the CAI 'calibration' is pointless.
You are a fool to believe otherwise.

How do you know it was a better 'calibration' ???
Did you check the AFR with a WideBand O2?
Did you check that the KAMRF was near 1.00???

Probably not,
Pick up a Physics book for chist sake...

here, check the site, they have options in the drop down boxes below and you have to specify if it's for a CAI. http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....m&inmake=0
How the hell can a 'calibration' compensate for irregular/inconsitentflow?
You are a jackass for believing that it can...

A MAF meter must have consistent flow in order to accurately measure airflow.
How is it that this simple concept has eluded an admin.???

Hahaha tru dat Pro-Ms are superior to C&Ls in every sense. This just made it worse seeing that C&L doesn't seem to offer recalibration for use with CAIs. I just don't want people reading this to start thinking that CAIs are bad, they do their intended job fine if you run them with the proper MAF.
Yes, Pro-M (or PMAS if you bothered to keep up on current Mustang events), is superior to C&L. The C&L sampling method is cheap, and 'most often' effective.

However,
The problem with a CAI is not the temp of the air, as BBK and MAC will have you believe!!!
The problem is with the bend just before the MAF meter.
I have to call it as I see it... And you are an idiot for believing the temperature of the air is the problem!!!

Once again, hit the Physics book before you start spreading your **** across the internet!!

I can't believe an admin would be allowed to spread this kind of crap on this site...

My name is Jason, and I fully endorse every word I have stated...

jason
Who are you referring to as an idiot?
Definately not you!!!
You have done a great service to many 'stangers by starting this thread.

I would like to thank you for getting this thread going

jason
Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

probably having his period or something ...i guess i should go read a book instead of actually trying out different combos on a car to find out what works and what doesn't. thanks for your words of wisdom there, cockstain.
Oh, my feelings are so hurt, I've never been called names before,

This will be the last time I respond to you, unless you can support any of your commentswith TECH.

Calling me names just shows how little you know.
This is a TECH forum, not a talk section. Let's focus on TECH...

jason
Old 03-25-2007, 08:24 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

probably having his period or something ...i guess i should go read a book instead of actually trying out different combos on a car to find out what works and what doesn't. thanks for your words of wisdom there, cockstain.
Oh, my feelings are so hurt, I've never been called names before,

This will be the last time I respond to you, unless you can support any of your commentswith TECH.

Calling me names just shows how little you know.
This is a TECH forum, not a talk section. Let's focus on TECH...

jason
sorry pal, never was in my intention to start an argument and fling some name calling around, but i will remind you that you started it (no matter how childish that sounds). I never once stated, that there was something wrong with the stock airbox, or that a CAI was better... everybody knows a CAI is the most worthless "hp for dollar" mod, this is common knowledge, and i never said the contrary. All i said was, from personal experience, that there's no need to get rid of the CAI for someone who already has one. If you match it up with the proper MAF, it does what it's intended to do, wich is look shiny and suck in cold air from outside the engine bay (yes i'm aware the stock one draws from the fender too) and it will not surge at idle or run crappy.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

never mind
Old 04-01-2007, 06:53 PM
OUTRAGEOUSLX
1st Gear Member

I had one on back in the day.......I think they are basically junk
Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM
OUTRAGEOUSLX
1st Gear Member

Yo BIG Maiden here too in NJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!