5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

stock driveshaft weighs around 26lbs and an aluminum goes about 12-13lbs

the only priblem is that the driveshafts are so small in diameter that they really dont make too much of a parasitic drag on the drivetrain. You would actually benefit MORE from going with a lighter wheel/tire combo than swapping out the driveshaft for a lighter one.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 AM
influence
1st Gear Member

I am not sure about size and so forth and what exactly they will be doing, but I will have a pre and after dyno.

I asked the guy what methods they use for the carbon, it is a filament wound process then a resin is used and cured in an oven.

They already make them for several other vehicles including the camaro. The guy was telling me that one of his customers has a 1300 HP Camaro with a 300 NOS Shot. I guess he loves the CF DS
Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: influence

I am not sure about size and so forth and what exactly they will be doing, but I will have a pre and after dyno.

I asked the guy what methods they use for the carbon, it is a filament wound process then a resin is used and cured in an oven.

They already make them for several other vehicles including the camaro. The guy was telling me that one of his customers has a 1300 HP Camaro with a 300 NOS Shot. I guess he loves the CF DS
I wouldn't expect to see much difference in a hp/torque graph. I would think that before and after 1/4 mile times would be more telling...

Just a hunch on my part though...

jason
Old 03-31-2007, 11:57 AM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

drive shaft won't help much...rotational mass in this case is minimal. Though the alum pc is a great upgrade for weight reduction and strength it's real benefit is vibration reduction IMO. Carbon fiber is just a bragging right that I would not pay for...but everyone is different and no one person is wrong
Old 03-31-2007, 02:00 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

i think the biggest advantage is strength not weight, i saw an aluminum driveshaft break on a mustang at the strip once, he didnt crash but the driveshaft messed up the underside if the car

i would agree with adder, go for a lightweightwheel/tire combo if you want reduced weight
Old 03-31-2007, 10:59 PM
influence
1st Gear Member

Im not sure what it will do but I get to be the tester for the new shaft, so its no charge and if anything breaks its repaired. I am just curious myself as well. I will let you guys know dyno day.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:51 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

stock driveshaft weighs around 26lbs and an aluminum goes about 12-13lbs
That's good info to know.

However, we should all be mindful that when it comes to rotational momentum, speed is as much a factor as weight. On the low end, particularly 1st and 2nd gear, a lighter driveshaft won't change much at all. But in 4th or overdrive, where the shaft is moving just slower or just faster than the crank, the change could be more significant.

Two caveats though: one is that you aren't getting great acceleration in 4th or overdrive to begin with. The other is the cost/performance issue. For the price of dropping 10 or 15 pounds of driveline weight, you could easily drop 100+ lb in overall bodyweight. You could easily afford a complete fiberglass front end, a pair of lightweight racing seats, battery relocating kit, or even some better flowing intake or exhaust goodies. Possibly two or three of those.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

I have an aluminum drive shaft. Been running it for the past three years with no problems. I have been experimenting with different cuts/gears in tranny, it makes the driveshaft sing when cruising in 5th at 78 mph. (harmonics). Making my own aluminum flywheel and experimenting with other stuff to. Have been a machinistgoing on 28 yearsnow.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

Horsepower TV has one on a chevy they were building. (Carbon fiber)
Old 04-01-2007, 03:06 AM
Compounder
1st Gear Member

I have a PST carbon driveshaft on my 93 GT. It was one of my first mods because I got it new off of eBay for half price ($450). It seems to make little or no difference but I figured what the hell its just money. And now all the ricers think I'm cool cause I have some carbon fiber on it. Life is great. It probably saved about 12-15lbs. Thats about $30 per pound, what a great freakin deal. lol

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft