5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stupid things???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 12:22 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: stupid things???

most recently the dumbest thing I did was changing out the motor mounts with my car still in the trailer. everything was going along smoothly until I jacked the car up another notch and heard a pop which was the hood braking the two 8 foot long flourescent light bulbs hanging in the center of the trailer roof showering the car and floor with millions of small pieces of glass and white dust from the tubes. I spent the next two hours vacuuming up glass from the engine compartment, the carpeted floor of the trailer, and removing the cowl cover to get the glass out from under it too! And then had to go the store and buy new tubes so I could see to finish the work on the motor mounts. Pissed me off big time![:@]
Old 11-21-2004, 01:00 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

i got one. i was doin an oil change on my car once with my girlfreind. she was over my house and i had to put oil in my motor since i was almost done puttin it together so i figured y not have her help. im sitting underneath the car at the pan taking the drain plug out. i tell her to start puoring oil in the motor. so im under the car waiting for the first drop of oil to go threw the pan juss to make sure that the oil goes all the way threw the motor.( dont ask y i do this its juss a pet peeve of mine to make sure the oil is running threw) so im sitting there and no oil is goin threw but i can here my girlfriend pouring it. so im thinking to my self, **** something wrongs inside the engine and this is exactly y i check to see if the oil goes threw, so i got up to see what the hell was goin on, ready to make some calls, and b4 i can even say anything i see a carton of oil sticking out of the radiator. immediatly i pushed my girlfriend away and took the carton out. of course she started asking me whats rong and what did i do and i told her. o well everything turned out fine tho, my friend had an extra radiator that he gave me cause he has an aluminum one and i flushed the engine out to make sure that there wasnt any oil in the water passeges. if ur wondering y the cap wasnt on the radiator, it was because i was goin to anti freeze in it rite after i did the oil, when i put the radiator in i juss left the cap off.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:08 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

when i put a 350 in my s10..i did not know it was easier to put the headers on while you sit the motor in..these headers are 3 piesec per side..with tubes going on the out side and around the sterring..any way..so i have my cherry picker out ..lifting the motor up..and i almost had them in..just a little more..so i jack it up maybe 1/2 inch..and bammmm...the tranny busted in half..and the motor and tranny both fell to the ground...it ruiend my 400 turbo tranny..that was a bad day..
Old 11-21-2004, 01:11 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

I remember at the shop i used to help at there was this asian kid, probably 19 or 20...who was always messing things up, but we had him to run errands and ****. One day we were real busy, so after doing an oil change we just told the kid to check the oil in the car, while we go get lunch. We come back and find the belt destroyed, along with some other crap making noise. Apparently he left the rag under the hood when he went to move the car, and it got caught on the crank pulley or somethin...didnt seem him long after that.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:25 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

my stuipid *** uncl..did a head gasket job at my granpa;s shop and and he put rags in the cyclinders to get trash and old gaskets out...well he never removed them before putting the heads back on..destoried the motor....grandpa had to rebuild it for free...lucky it was a small hlock chevy..cause they are cheap...lol..
Old 11-23-2004, 04:50 PM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

tig welded a piece of avionic gear for a f-18 super hornet, it was a alum fastner that should have been "staked" in place, when i had finished welding it i burned some electronics behind the the fastner ended up costing the navy $189,000. GO-NAVY
Old 11-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

^^^^^Can't top that in terms of cost

When I was changing the carb on my 87 sentra, I got it all on (after taking a crap load of stuff out) and I plugged the tube that I thought was the fuel into the fuel line. We tried to start it up, and the starter motor was turning, but nothing was happening. So we told the guy in the car to give it more gas. He did and still nothing, but we could smell gas, so we were like WHAT THE HECK???? So the mechanic that was overseeing the work put some cleaner stuff that is combustable strait into the carb to try to get it started, so the guy in the car cranked it again, and the car started sure enough. Then we saw some liquid comming out from under the car, so we told the guy to stop the motor. We looked at the connection, and I had put the vacuum line on the fuel intake for the carb, and the fuel line was just spraying gas all over the under side of the car. we rolled the car back and found oil in mixed with the gas. As it turnes out, I had to take the oil filter off to take off the old carb/put on the new one, so that was spraying oil over the back side of the engine. Everything got fixed and I think only 20 or so oz of gas was spread. Although the engine continued to burn the oil off itself for about 100 miles.