5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

corked vs. catless

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default corked vs. catless

hey, I've been looking around for a clean mustang and some mods have already shot into my head. I was thinking about exhaust at this current moment. remember in American Graffitti whenMilner (sp?)uncorked the headers on his 5 window Ford(always thought that car was cooler than falfa's '55, though both cars were chevy powered)? I saw a kit that is similar in either summitt or JC Whitney. it is a kit that welds into your exhaust that has an electronically controlled "dump" that opens up to basically give you an open exhaust right after the headers. I was wondering if this kit would be worth my time, or if the sudden loss in backpressure would kill performance. It would sound pretty cool to pull up next to a ricer, flip the switch and blow his (4) doors and 3 foot high wing off with a roar of 5.0 power. Or would running a catless h-pipe and flowmaster's do about the same thing? also, would those dumps be legal at a track? dont need to worry about emissions where I am at, plus got a few "good" mechanics that'll pass anything with seats and a steering wheel up by me...

I'm hoping on maybe hitting up E-town or Beaver springs this summer...not alot of tracks in the poconos to my dismay...
Old 04-05-2007, 03:54 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: corked vs. catless

ive been running mine with dumps about 6" past o2 sensors( you can view video of it in exhaust threads pro50 setup at top of this forum) and i noticed better top end but suffered a little on bottom end torque. i just installed a mac pro chamber into slp loudmoth resonators into 3" long torn downs and its perfect if you ask me. if you run open headers with shorties everyone says you can warp a valve but my father in law runs short tubes that come off of each cylinder and dump straight down about 5" on his dirt car and he laughs when i say something about it. most guys i know at the track run open headers on long tube headers. i would atlest put the dumps just before or just after your x or h pipe.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: corked vs. catless

my set up is stock manifolds, o/r h pipe, flows and dumps.... its loud enough, lol... i wouldnt dump it off of the headers just because of the loss of bottom end, id run a mid pipe(nocats) mufflers of your choice and then dumps...