5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

typhoon intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:32 AM
eryanisme

Default typhoon intake questions

i bought a typhoon upper and lower, a power products throttle body, some chrome pipes and a unknown cone filter. i have an 89 5.0 with an auto mostly stock but with a small (unknown speck) cam, aluminum driveshaft, and shift kit.

1. what do i measure to know what size the throttle body exactly is?

2. i paid 310 for all these parts a stock hood, typhoon up and low, throttle, (cold air) pipes, all the upper fuel injected parts rail, injectors, egr, idle air control, etc. the typhoon, throttle body, and filter kit were used less than 5,000 miles. all other parts work, but not new is 310 a good deal?

3. how do you figure out the ideal throttle body for your intake and the proper mass air flow for my whole configuration? please tell me how so in the future i might know how to guage the difference when buying.

4. i have a leak coolant on the front L/H side of the intake has anyone else had alot of trouble getting this intake to seal right? this will be the second time once due to an oil leak.

5. what can i sell my all stock upper intake with all fuel stuff, fittings, throttle body, well pretty much the whole stock intake setup from the intake manifold up if that makes sense.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:07 PM
DarkDragon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: typhoon intake questions

ok well im just gonna address the TB size and MASS sizes and let others address others since im not sure. On a naturaly asperated engine 70mm is the biggest u wanna go and on a blower application small works better since it increases the airs velocity. with a mass meter u want that slightly larger than ur throttle body so if u have a 70mm TB then a 76mm mass will be right. On a N/A engine u want ur intake system to have the least restriction possible but on a blown motor the positive pressure makes up for any restriction so its not as important but less restriction overall is best.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: typhoon intake questions

measure the diameter of the throttle body on the downstream or intake side of the TB, it's larger on the outside than the inside by about 5 mm.
$310 for all that was a good deal IMO
DD already answered this one for you
never had any expericence with Typhoon intakes so can't say
not much is my guess, most everybody is upgrading and stock parts are not that much in demand.