5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

noise problem solved... maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default noise problem solved... maybe?

ever since i've owned this car, i've had a noise under the hood, passenger side, that i thought was a header leak. so today after i took down a few tree's in my front yard, i got crankin on the car. only 2 header bolts were loose enough to leak, but that isn't the problem, i think.

i found one of the rubber hoses for the air pump, resting against the header, and dryed out and has a big *** hole in it, about the size of a mouse. it makes noise all the time, no matter the RPM, so i fired it up, and i can barely feel any air flow through this big gaping hole.

does the air system have some kind of valve or something that allows flow? i thought it pumped constantly, but i didnt feel any air flow coming out, yet the noise was still there, so i'm a bit confused.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: noise problem solved... maybe?

its hard to explain the noise, its kind of like a popping gurgling exhaust leak. anyone who has ever heard a header leak will know what this sounds like, but i'm starting to wonder if my air pump even works at all, and the noise i'm hearing is the pump internals itself, takin a slow dump.

the noise is concentrated to the area where the giant hole is, the pump itself is not making any noise.

there isn't any vacuum through the thermactor holes, is there? i didnt think there was... i dunno.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:23 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

change that hose. even if thats not the problem having a burnt house with a big hole in it is not a good idea.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well i need to pass emissions soon, and the only thing that fails is the nox is a tad high, so i'm changing my EGR and EGR position sensor, putting my regular catted H back on, and turning the timing down. I'm a licensed inspector in my state, and i'm convinced it will pass without the air pump, so i'm considering ripping the whole system out.

i just wanna figure out this noise while i'm still thinking about it.

i'm also considering rippin out my A/C here in the next few days, the system is empty so i dont need to get it vacuumed, my only question with that is do i need to cap off the connectors at the firewall, or just leave 'em there open.